Video animation Click here to view a 3-minute preview animation of the new clinical services building (Block D).
Welcome to the Cairns Hospital redevelopment
The $454.6 million redevelopment of Cairns Hospital (previously known as Cairns Base Hospital) will provide an additional 168 beds (overnight and same day beds) by 2015, bringing the total to 531 beds.
The redeveloped Cairns Hospital will also provide improved health services including:
- an ambulatory cancer care centre with a new radiation oncology service (completed 2011)
- additional cardiac care facilities
- additional surgical capacity including day surgery
- expanded intensive care capacity (completed 2012)
- expanded birthing services and special care nursery (completed 2013)
- a new low-risk Family Birth Centre
- additional aged care and rehabilitation services
- additional beds for mental health services
- new pathology facilities (completed 2014)
The Cairns Hospital is being redeveloped in stages.
Seperable Portion 2 (SP2)
Separable Portion 2 is the next stage of the redevelopment involving the refurbishment of existing Blocks A, B & C.
- SP2 is scheduled for completion in early 2016.
- SP2 will involve two types of refurbishments: Light – minimal construction e.g. new celling/painted walls or Full – area is stripped back to shell and redone.
- Start-up meetings are underway with staff and stakeholders to enable detailed planning requirements for areas requiring works whilst departments remain in situ e.g. Renal, Mental Health.
- To minimise impact of construction activities the CHHHS is temporarily re-locating the Children’s Ward Block D and the Children’s Clinics to Block C
- Practical Completion for Anatomical Pathology, Block C was granted on 17 October.
Main Entrance – The link bridge over Lake Street provides undercover pedestrian acess from the Cairns Hospital multi-story car park in Block E to the new Block D clinical service building. Access to the car park is from Digger Street, corner of Grove Street. For bus information visist: www.sunbus.com.au
The Emergency department entrance remains on the Esplanade.
To access outpatient appointments in Block B, the best access is from the Esplanade straight to the Block C lifts. Take these lifts to level 1 and walk across the covered link bridge to Block B. Use the Block B lift directories and follow the signs to your clinic appointment. You can exit the buildings the same way. The helpful FNQHF volunteers are also available to assist.
The easiest access to Block A is from the Esplanade.
|Oct 2014||Refurbished Anatomical Pathology area opens in Block C|
|Sep 2014||Commencement of refurbishment works in Blocks A & B|
|Aug 2014||Transfer of services into Block D completed|
|Jul 2014||Commencement of refurbishment works in Block C|
|May 2014||Cairns Hospital Community Open Day held|
|Hospital Alternatives, Mobile Blood COllection, Acute Pain Service and OPERA team move to Block D|
|Prothetic gym, Rehab gym, OT, Social Work, Speech Pathology and Nutrition and Dietetics move to Block D|
|Patient Services moves to Block D|
|Cairns Hospital Community Open Day held|
|Pharmacy becomes Operational in Block D|
|Lake Street pedestrian access link bridge opens|
|Pathology becomes Operational in Block E|
|Apr 2014||Linen service becomes operational in Block D|
|New Kitchen becomes operational in Block D|
|Practical Completion achieved for Block D|
Link Bridge installed over Lake St
Tower Crane 2 dismantled
Hospital construction work peaks with 400 tradies on site
Work commences on construction of new Pathology Lab including new Pneumatic Tube System
Removal of Base from hospital name
Expo held with 3D model of new building, colour themes, floor plans on display
Expansion of Special Care Nursery and Birthing Suites complete
Construction of highest point reached on new Block D building
Special Care Nursery stage 1a opens - new clinical area
Release of video animation
|New Intensive Care Unit area opens (stage 2)|
|Jul 2012||Special Care Nursery stage 1 opens|
|Block A access ramp opens|
|Jun 2012||Four new birth suites opens|
|Apr 2012||Intensive Care Unit stage 1 opens|
|Mar 2012||Stage 2B of Cairns North Community Health Facility opens for adult and child community health services|
|Nov 2011||Second CT scanner for CBH opens|
|Jun 2011||Liz Plummer Cancer Care Centre opens|
|May 2011||Work commences on new clinical services building|
|Apr 2011||Emergency Department expansion completed|
|Nov 2010||New eight-storey car park opens|
|Sep 2010||Stage 2A of Cairns North Community Health Facility opens|
|Jul 2010||Cardiac catheter laboratory opens|
|May 2009||Stage 1 of Cairns North Community Health Facility opens as the new home for Cairns Diabetes Centre and home dialysis training|