Forensic and Scientific Services: Health Physics
The Health Physics Unit and its laboratories help prevent radiation hazards to protect communities, workers and the environment by providing specialised radiation and nuclear science-based services including:
- professional and technical advisory and consultancy programs
- radioanalytical and other radiation related scientific services.
The unit helps government protect communities, workers and the environment from the effects of radiation.
Please note: all services are subject to our terms and conditions (PDF, 91KB)
Applied Health Physics, Advice and Consultancy
- dose and dose reconstruction modelling (internal and external)
- assessment of the impact of radiological materials in water, foods, the workplace and on contaminated land sites
- emergency response (CBRE) and radiological/nuclear forensics
- remediation, decontamination and decommissioning of nuclear facilities (laboratories, radioactive waste stores, mine sites etc.)
- radioactive waste consolidation and disposal
- transport of radioactive materials
- non-ionising radiation surveys
- regulatory compliance issues
- clinical and population health research and development programs
Health Physics Training
- Queensland Health-approved radiation safety training courses for clients wishing to obtain licences to use radioactive substances, or become a radiation safety officer.
- Custom-designed training courses as required by radiation source users.
- Identification and measurement of radiological materials in water, foods, the workplace and on contaminated land sites
- Gamma spectrometry - soil and sediment, water, food, air filters
- Liquid scintillation spectrometry - gross alpha and beta activity in water, tritium, radon
Field and Laboratory Instrumentation
Health Physics utilises a range of field or in-situ radiation measurement instruments including:
- environmental and radiation protection level dose rate meters
- alpha, beta (including tritium) and gamma surface contamination meters
- down-hole logging tools (low resolution gamma spectrometry)
- radon and radon progeny meters
- low, medium and high volume air samplers
- ELF - VLF non-ionising radiation survey instruments
- environmental sampling systems (auto samplers, well pumps, sediment corers etc).
Laboratory instrumentation systems for quantification of radioactive materials, including:
- high resolution gamma spectrometry
- ultra low level alpha / beta liquid scintillation analysers
- thermoluminescent dosimetry
- alpha spectrometry
- phosphor plate autoradiography.
Radiation Survey Meter Performance Facility
- Traceable Cs-137 gamma exposure check for protection level survey meters
- Traceable surface contamination meter performance checks (alpha/beta/gamma)