||The Emerald Hospital provides a range of health services to the community, including 24-hours a day, seven days a week emergency department, inpatient and outpatient care.
||The Emerald Hospital has developed a training program in partnership with a local General Practitioner for rural generalist doctors. Six doctors have signed on to undertake the training for their specialist qualifications. This is building a qualified and stable medical workforce for the future.
||An after-hours medical practice is available at Emerald Hospital, making general practitioner care easier for residents. This service is a joint initiative between local general practitioners, the Central Queensland Medicare Local and Emerald Hospital.
||Telehealth services are available to link specialist staff at other hospitals via video-conferencing, which means suitable patients no longer have to travel long distances for appointments.
||The Emerald Hospital is undergoing an $8 million Rural rectification works project which includes essential fire safety repairs, asbestos removal, and the replacement of the emergency generator and air conditioner chillers.
69 Hospital Road
Emerald QLD 4720
PO Box 879
Emerald QLD 4720
+61 7 4987 9400
+61 7 4982 3860
0800 to 1630 - Monday to Friday
Distance to main referring hospital/s
Rockhampton Hospital 275km
The Royal Brisbane and Women's Hospital 900km
- 24 hour Accident and Emergency services
- A general Outpatient Department for non-urgent conditions staffed by qualified nursing staff
- Nursing staff are available to assess and treat patients in consultation with hospital doctors
- Surgical services include; day surgery, minor and general surgery
- Acute medical services
- General medicine
- Palliative care
- Maternity - Group Practice and Special Care
- Oral health services, dental clinic
- Pharmacy Services
- Gastroenterolist specialist
- Slow stream rehabilitation (only community based)
- Specialist clinics
- Pacemaker checking
- Telehealth Orthopaedic Clinic
- Outreach and visiting services
- A flying specialist surgeon
- Visiting Flying Obstetrician / Gynaecologist specialist
- Visiting ear nose and throat specialist
Other Emerald health services available
Capital works or recent improvements
The following was completed as part of the Remote and Rural Recertification and Infrastructure Works Program:
- A new asphalt road was constructed for the fire brigade on the western side of the hospital
- A Concrete hardstand surface was completed to the waste management area and a new generator area was completed at the rear of the hospital
- Installation of medical air to Birthing Suite and Resuscitation bays
- Redesign of the Emergency Department including a new entry, waiting area, public toilet, triage/administration area, orthopaedic room and secure doors separating public area to clinical areas.
- Construction of fire rated walls and ceiling to Medical Records room.
- Upgrades to Operating theatre including:
- the installation of cardiac protection, medical air and tool air;
- the installation of RO system to CSSD;
- fire detection, alarm, emergency and exit lighting upgrades and
- the Installation of fire doors.
- Rectification works to existing smoke/fire wall in Inpatient Unit
- The installation of three new hand basins in the Inpatient Unit and one in the ATTSIC Health Worker room
- Converting the two bed Negative Pressure Room ward into a one bed room
- Construction of fire/smoke walls and doors, installation of smoke and fire dampers to existing ductwork and the relocation of bulk oxygen manifolds throughout the Hospital building
- Upgrade of the fire detection and alarm system throughout the Hospital and Community Health building
- Replacement of existing Fire Instrument Panel (FIP) with a new addressable FIP to the Hospital Building and the installation of a sub-FIP to Community Health building
- Installation of a new standby generator and fuel tank to the Service yard
- Upgrade of the main switchboard
- Provision of Body protection in consulting rooms
- Installation of emergency lighting and signage throughout the Hospital and Community Health buildings.
- Plant room ventilation upgraded
- Wet fire protection upgraded
- Replacement of chiller and installation of new MSSB and sub-mains
- Upgrade to external egress, stairs and car park
- Café style seating in front of hospital building
- Landscaping upgrade to the front and northern side of the Hospital
- Refrigerative air-conditioning to the laundry and kitchen
- Constructed a new shade structure to the Car Wash bay
- Refurbishment of compactor
- Installation of a water cooler to the Emergency Department
- CCTV to Community Health and Emergency Department buildings
- Re-establishment of irrigation system to hospital grounds using non-potable water