Models of Care and Service Redesign
The Office of the Chief Allied Health Officer supports the redesign of models of care and workforce skill-mix in order to improve access to appropriate services in a cost-effective manner. This includes:
- opportunities for health practitioners to work to their full scope of practice (including advanced clinical practice) in appropriate contexts:
- requesting diagnostic investigations
- radiography commenting
- criteria-led discharge
- opportunities for health practitioners to work to with an extended scope of practice in appropriate contexts:
- prescribing of medicines
- skill-sharing between allied health professionals
- mechanisms to achieve effective delegation and support better use of the allied health workforce
- allied health professional-first clinical care pathways
- an integrated education, training and clinical governance strategy to support the effective introduction and integration of new roles
- services through the use of technology to enhance service delivery.
A range of workforce redesign resources are available to support teams and ensure clinical service delivery best meets patient needs.
Last updated: 22 December 2022