Skip links and keyboard navigation

Accessing your medical record

Accessing records held by the Cairns and Hinterland and Health Service

You have a right to apply for access to your personal information held by the Cairns and Hinterland Hospital and Health Service, including copies of your medical record. 

The first step is to determine if your records can be released via the Administrative Access process as this is the least intrusive and quickest process to obtain your records. Patients can generally access copies of their own medical records administratively, however there are other ways individuals can apply for access to information about someone else (for example as a parent, carer or family member) and the health service more generally.

Requests for access to information can be made by completing one of the following application forms.

Please complete the Application for Administrative Access to Medical Records form (PDF 222 kB) if you are applying for:

  • your own medical records, or;

Please complete the Right to Information and Information Privacy Access Application form if you are applying for:

  • medical records on behalf of someone else
  • medical records of a child
  • medical records of a deceased person
  • other documents held by the Cairns and Hinterland Hospital and Health Service.

Should you have any questions regarding which form you may need to fill out or how to access information generally, please contact Release of Information Unit on (07) 4226 8683 or email

Amendments to your medical record

Under the Information Privacy Act 2009, you may apply to amend documents containing personal information where you believe that the relevant information is inaccurate, misleading, out of date or incomplete.

You can apply to have your personal information amended whereby records exist within the Cairns and Hinterland Hospital and Health Service.  Personal information can only be amended if it is:

  • inaccurate
  • incomplete
  • out-of-date
  • misleading.

You can only amend those parts of the document that contain your personal information.

To apply for amendment, you must:

  • have seen the document or have a copy of it
  • provide enough information to identify the document
  • provide an address (post or email)
  • specify the information you want amended
  • explain how the information is inaccurate, incomplete, out-of-date or misleading
  • suggest how you want the information changed
  • complete the Information Privacy Personal Information Amendment Application Form (PDF, 88KB)
  • send or personally deliver the completed form to:
    • In person: Health Information Services, Level 1 Block A,  Cairns Hospital; or by
    • Post: Cairns Hospital, Release of Information Unit, PO Box 902, Cairns Qld 4870
    • Email:
  • provide the required evidence of your identity (as outlined on the form).

An application to amend personal information is free.

Last updated: 27 August 2018