Aged care sector
Residents of residential aged care facilities (RACFs) are at increased risk of COVID-19 infection and are more vulnerable to serious complications if they do become infected. The single most important measure for preventing COVID-19 in RACFs is the avoidance of exposure.
RACFs must implement measures to prevent introduction of COVID-19 into their facility and ensure they are prepared to manage outbreaks of COVID-19, should they occur. Detailed guidelines on managing outbreaks are provided in the Australian Department of Health’s COVID-19 guidelines for outbreaks in residential care facilities.
Queensland Health has implemented a range of measures to support the aged care sector, working with its Commonwealth counterparts and other state Government Departments to deliver responses to the COVID-19 challenge. The COVID-19 in Residential Aged Care – Report on Response Planning and Progress March 2020 to March 2021– Workforce Framework (PDF 1453 kB) (source: Queensland Health) report provides an overview of the relevant work undertaken during the first year of the pandemic.
Details of restrictions on entry into residential aged care facilities (RACFs) can be found in the Chief Health Officer’s public health directions on aged care. For advice regarding PPE, please visit our PPE section.
- Checklist for Residential Aged Care Facility (RACF) preparation for COVID-19 prevention and outbreak management (source: Queensland Health)
This checklist is intended to guide requirements for RACF pandemic preparation
- Community-based palliative care preparedness (source: caring@home)
These resources were developed on behalf of the Australian Government to support the preparedness of palliative care service providers during the COVID-19 pandemic delivering services to home-based patients.
- Report on COVID-19 Outbreak at North Rockhampton Nursing Centre (source: Queensland Health)
Date Uploaded: 07/05/21
This document provides an overview of the response to the May 2020 COVID-19 incident at a Queensland Health operated residential aged care facility in Rockhampton. Information about experiences and learnings from the incident is provided to support/improve outbreak management planning by other aged care providers.
- Aged care resources (source: Australian Government)
This list of resources includes apps, audio and video resources and other publications about aged care.
- COVID-19 Outbreak Management Guidance for Transfer of residents of aged care facilities to hospital in the event of a COVID-19 outbreak (PDF 786 kB)
This document sets out the factors that will be considered when determining the suitability of relocating residents of residential aged care facilities during COVID-19 outbreaks and the priority given to those factors.
- Transitions between hospital and RACFs during the COVID-19 Pandemic
This guidance document provides a consistent approach to the care of RACF residents attending an acute healthcare facility during the pandemic.
- Discharge letter Transitions between hospital and RACFs during the COVID-19 Pandemic
This letter should be used in conjunction with the Transitions between hospital and RACFs during the COVID-19 Pandemic guidance document.
- COVID-19 Testing Framework (PDF 737 kB) (Source: Queensland Health)
This framework outline the full suite of testing options for SARS-CoV-2 to optimise case ascertainment, surveillance and inform the public health response.
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) guidelines for outbreaks in residential care facilities (source: Australian Government)
The Communicable Diseases Network Australia (CDNA) developed these national guidelines for the prevention, control and public health management of COVID-19 outbreaks in residential care facilities in Australia.
- Management of potential or confirmed RACF COVID 19 outbreak booklet (PDF 6.6 MB) (source: Queensland Health)
This suite of collaborative pathways for aged care providers, General Practitioners and Registered Nurses as clinical support tools for management of the acutely unwell patients living in RACFs who have potential or confirmed COVID-19
- Acute respiratory illness (potential COVID-19 or influenza pathway) (PDF 242 kB) (source: Queensland Health)
This pathway details isolation and treatment steps to be taken in managing suspected COVID-19 cases in residential aged care facilities.
- Management of COVID-19 exposure or outbreak in residential aged care facility (PDF 257 kB) (source: Queensland Health) This checklist will assist residential aged care facilities in managing a potential or confirmed COVID-19 outbreak.
- First 24 hours in a COVID-19 outbreak (source: Australian Government)
This fact sheet describes the steps you should take in the first 24 hours following the identification of a COVID-19 positive case.
- Planning and Rapid Response – COVID in Aged Care (source: Queensland Health)
Date Uploaded: 17/09/21
This document provides guidance to the sector and government on how to plan for and respond to COVID-19 a case(s) in Residential Aged Care. It articulates the roles and the responsibilities of providers and state and Commonwealth agencies and the process for escalating the response to stand up the Aged Care Health Emergency Response Operations Centre if required.
- Clinical Governance Framework for rapid response to COVID-19 outbreaks in residential aged care facilities (source: Queensland Health)
Date Updated: 10/08/21
This document helps to ensure an integrated, adaptive clinical governance system and facilitates a cohesive clinical response to RACF COVID-19 outbreak management, with RACF residents and families at the centre. The focus of the document is on the roles, responsibilities, accountabilities and communications required to facilitate an integrated response.
- Guidance for Managing Communications and Engagement - COVID-19 in Residential Aged Care Facilities (source: Queensland Health)
Date Uploaded: 04/03/21
This document provides general information to support aged care providers and government and other stakeholders to plan and deliver communications related to COVD-19 in residential aged care, including during outbreaks.
- Communications and Engagement Actions - COVID-19 in Residential Aged Care Facilities (source: Queensland Health)
Date Uploaded: 04/03/21
This document provides detailed information about the communication actions to be undertaken to prepare for and respond to COVID-19 in Residential Aged Care Facilities.
- Advanced care planning advice (source: Queensland Government)
This website provides information and resources about advance care planning for consumers and health professionals.
- Aged care clinical guide – Palliative and end-of-life care (source: Royal Australian College of General Practitioners)
This fifth edition provides guidance on the often complex care of older people, whether living in the community or residential aged care facilities (RACFs).
- PallConsult - 24/7 palliative care advice (source: Queensland Government)
PallConsult boosts the ability of local healthcare teams to deliver patient-centred palliative care, especially in rural and remote parts of the State.
- Tips for residential aged care providers (Source: Dementia Australia)
Information for residential aged care providers regarding coronavirus (COVID-19) and supporting people living with dementia.
- Service continuity and emergency events in aged care (source: Australian Government)
This information details how preparing for emergencies can help lessen their effect and impact on your ability to provide a service.
- COVID-19 Consumer Resources (source: Australian Government)
This range of resources will help consumers understand their options on staying safe, keeping in touch with loved ones and keeping fit and active.