Aged care sector
Residents of residential aged care facilities (RACFs) are at increased risk of COVID-19 infection and are more vulnerable to serious complications if they do become infected. The single most important measure for preventing COVID-19 in RACFs is the avoidance of exposure.
RACFs must implement measures to prevent introduction of COVID-19 into their facility and ensure they are prepared to manage outbreaks of COVID-19, should they occur. Detailed guidelines on managing outbreaks are provided in the Australian Department of Health’s COVID-19 guidelines for outbreaks in residential care facilities.
Details of restrictions on entry into residential aged care facilities (RACFs) can be found in the Chief Health Officer’s public health directions on aged care.
- Checklist for Residential Aged Care Facility (RACF) preparation for COVID-19 prevention and outbreak management (source: Queensland Health)
This checklist is intended to guide requirements for RACF pandemic preparation
- COVID-19 infection control training (source: Australian Government)
This 30-minute online training module is for health care workers in all settings. It covers the fundamentals of infection prevention and control for COVID-19.
- Personal protective equipment (source: Queensland Health)
This PPE information should be used to keep patients, colleagues and healthcare workers safe.
- Aged care resources (source: Australian Government)
This list of resources includes apps, audio and video resources and other publications about aged care.
- Community-based palliative care preparedness (source: caring@home)
These resources were developed on behalf of the Australian Government to support the preparedness of palliative care service providers during the COVID-19 pandemic delivering services to home-based patients.
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) guidelines for outbreaks in residential care facilities (source: Australian Government)
The Communicable Diseases Network Australia (CDNA) developed these national guidelines for the prevention, control and public health management of COVID-19 outbreaks in residential care facilities in Australia.
- Acute respiratory illness (suspected COVID-19) in RACF resident pathway (PDF 3092 kB) (source: Queensland Health)
This pathway details isolation and treatment steps to be taken in managing suspected COVID-19 cases in residential aged care facilities.
- Management of suspected RACF COVID-19 outbreak (PDF 59 kB) (source: Queensland Health)
This checklist will assist residential aged care facilities in managing a potential or confirmed COVID-19 outbreak.
- First 24 hours in a COVID-19 outbreak (source: Australian Government)
This fact sheet describes the steps you should take in the first 24 hours following the identification of a COVID-19 positive case.
- RACF rapid response flow chart (source: Queensland Health)
This flowchart outlines the steps to mobilise and engage relevant partners to respond to COVID-19 in an aged care facility.
- COVID-19 update for residential aged care facilities August 2020
This update contains advice on planning and preparing for COVID-19, infection protection information and more.
- Advanced care planning advice (source: Queensland Government)
This website provides information and resources about advance care planning for consumers and health professionals.
- Aged care clinical guide – Palliative and end-of-life care (source: Royal Australian College of General Practitioners)
This fifth edition provides guidance on the often complex care of older people, whether living in the community or residential aged care facilities (RACFs).
- PallConsult - 24/7 palliative care advice (source: Queensland Government)
PallConsult boosts the ability of local healthcare teams to deliver patient-centred palliative care, especially in rural and remote parts of the State.
This virtual leadership and skill development series is designed to support the capacity and capability of Residential and Aged Care and Disability Service facilities to respond to the COVID-19 pandemic. Sessions will are Train the Trainer’ in nature and and provide a conduit to existing and emerging resources.
This live series runs daily from Monday 3 to Saturday 8 August 2020, with recordings added to this page 24-48 hours post-session.
COVID-19 Incident Management Team
Optimising the value of visiting health professionals in a COVID-19 environment
Leading a COVID-19 safe team: Personal and staff wellness
Professional Governance Issues, Surge workforce techniques and Information sharing
Train the Trainer principles
- Tips for residential aged care providers (Source: Dementia Australia)
Information for residential aged care providers regarding coronavirus (COVID-19) and supporting people living with dementia.
- Service continuity and emergency events in aged care (source: Australian Government)
This information details how preparing for emergencies can help lessen their effect and impact on your ability to provide a service.
- COVID-19 Consumer Resources (source: Australian Government)
This range of resources will help consumers understand their options on staying safe, keeping in touch with loved ones and keeping fit and active.