Resources and information for clinicians
This page links Queensland clinicians to the latest information on testing, treating, assessing and managing patients with a suspected or confirmed diagnosis of COVID-19.
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) resources for health professionals, including pathology providers and healthcare managers (Source: Australian
This collection of resources replaces previous information sheets for emergency departments, primary and community health workers, and healthcare and residential care workers.
- COVID-19 infection control training
This 30-minute online training module is for health care workers in all settings. It covers the fundamentals of infection prevention and control for COVID-19.
- COVID-19 Clinical Screening Assessment Tool (PDF 271 kB)
A statewide COVID-19 Clinical Screening Assessment tool has been developed with the intent to enable Hospital and Health Services (HHSs) to appropriately assess the suitability for COVID-19 screening.
- Australian Health Sector Emergency Response Plan for Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)
This plan guides the Australian health sector response to COVID-19.
- Patients entering Queensland for essential health care - Fact sheet for health care providers
This fact sheet provides information for clinicians with patients who need to cross the border into Queensland to receive healthcare.
- Management of Respiratory Failure in the response to COVID-19 (PDF 557 kB)
This joint statement outlines therapies which can be considered in caring for COVID-19 patients.
- COVID-19 Cancer Guidelines (PDF 518 kB)
- COVID-19 guidance for nurses and midwives
- COVID-19 and pregnancy: clinical guideline, operational framework and consumer information
- Kidney Patient COVID-19 Information Sheet (PDF 269 kB)
- Guiding principles for complex decision making during Pandemic COVID-19 – Australian and New Zealand Intensive Care Society
- SGMCN COVID-19 Action Plan
The Action Plan is a holistic approach to the management and containment of COVID-19 from the perspective of hospital-based general medicine services.
- Hospital in the Home Guideline (PDF 316 kB)
This addendum to the Hospital in the Home Guideline, provides recommendations regarding best practice for public HITH services across Queensland in the event of a pandemic, which is defined as the worldwide spread of a new disease.
- Hospital in the Home SAMPLE Clinical Pathway (PDF 185 kB)
- Hospital in the Home SAMPLE Direct GP Referral Process (PPT 594 kB)
- Minimising the risk of infectious respiratory disease transmission in the context of COVID-19: the hierarchy of controls (PDF 295 kB)
- Guidance for persons in quarantine visiting residents receiving end-of-life care (PDF 95 kB) (20 November)
- Care partners in hospital settings: Considerations for COVID-19 guidance document (PDF 1721 kB) (17 December)
- Guidance on potential changes to anaesthetic drug usage and administration during pandemic emergency pressures (PDF 223 kB)
- COVID-19 advice for treatment providers (Queensland Opioid Treatment Program) (PDF 260 kB)
This information will help maintain care of patients during the COVID-19 pandemic response.
- Principles of ethical prescribing for self and others in the COVID-19 pandemic (PDF 284 kB)
- Guideline for ethical prescribing for self and others in the COVID-19 pandemic (PDF 231 kB)
- Direction informing prescribers about amended prescribing and dispensing requirements for hydroxychloroquine (PDF 85 kB)
- Direction informing pharmacists about amended prescribing and dispensing requirements for hydroxychloroquine (PDF 90 kB)
- GP Assessment and management of patients with suspected COVID-19 (PDF 977 kB)
- GPs can access the latest information about COVID-19 in their HealthPathways (HP). Please always refer to the online version for the latest information.
- Visit HealthPathways to register if you would like access to HP information specific to your local area.
- Fever and respiratory clinics in Queensland
- COVID-19 Community Child Health Services Guidance for service provision
This document has been developed to support service adaptation by community child and youth health services in Queensland Hospital and Health Services (HHSs) during the COVID-19 Pandemic.
- COVID-19 Guidance for maternity and neonatal services
This site refers to the Maternity and Neonatal Clinical Guidelines page and contains information specific to the care of mothers and babies during the COVID-19 pandemic including flowcharts for neonates of suspected or confirmed COVID-19 mothers, operational frameworks for COVID-19 maternity and neonatal services as well as videos and consumer information.
- Paediatric emergency care during the COVID-19 pandemic
This Children’s Health Queensland site contains information specific to the emergency care of children during the COVID-19 outbreak including chest imaging guidelines, consensus statements on intubation and respiratory therapies and a paediatric airway checklist.
- Protecting yourself and the community: mask-wearing video for adolescents
This video helps Queensland adolescents to understand why wearing a face mask is important. It provides tips for what kind of mask to wear and how to wear it properly. The video is designed for both health professionals and educators who work with high schoolers aged 12 years and above. For more information on COVID-19 and children, visit https://www.childrens.health.qld.gov.au/covid-19/.
- National Health Professional Disability Telephone Advisory Service can be accessed on 1800 131 330 between 7am and 11pm - 7 days a week to assist health professionals involved in the care of people with disability diagnosed with COVID-19 or experiencing COVID-19 symptoms.
- Care for people with disability (COVID-19) checklist (PDF 444 kB)
- COVID-19 Vaccination Clinics: Ensuring Access for People with Disability (PDF)
- COVID-19 Testing Framework Implementation Plan for People with Disability (PDF)
- Disability Surge Sector Workforce Framework – COVID-19 Outbreak Planning and Preparation (PDF)
- COVID-19 management of close contacts
- Clinician wellbeing fact sheet (PDF 313 kB)
- Novel coronavirus topic in Queensland Health's Clinical Knowledge Network (CKN)
DynaMed, the Clinical Knowledge Network's (CKN) primary point of care tool, has created a new topic for novel coronavirus.
Help keep everyone safe from COVID-19 (PDF 90 kB)
COVID-19 visitor poster for healthcare facilities.
- Pandemic Kindness Website
Created by clinicians from across the nation, this website provides respected, evidence-informed resources to support the wellbeing of the health workforce.
- Boost your Healthy
Developed by Health and Wellbeing Queensland, this website provides support, inspiration and ideas to stay healthy and active during COVID-19.
- Support for vulnerable people
advice from Assoc. Prof. John Allan, Executive Director, Mental Health Alcohol and Other Drugs Branch on how COVID-19 may affect people with serious mental ill health.
- COVID-19 is no excuse for Domestic and Family Violence
Resources to support health clinicians to recognise, respond, and refer safely and appropriately to suspicions and disclosures of domestic and family violence.
- COVID 19 Resource Toolkit for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health Professionals (the Toolkit)
Information for consumers, including current advice on the number of confirmed cases in Queensland, can be found at COVID-19 coronavirus information for Queenslanders.