Resources and information for clinicians
This page links Queensland clinicians to the latest information on testing, treating, assessing and managing patients with a suspected or confirmed diagnosis of COVID-19.
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) resources for health professionals, including pathology providers and healthcare managers (Source: Australian
This collection of resources replaces previous information sheets for emergency departments, primary and community health workers, and healthcare and residential care workers.
- COVID-19 infection control training
This 30-minute online training module is for health care workers in all settings. It covers the fundamentals of infection prevention and control for COVID-19.
- COVID-19 Clinical Screening Assessment Tool (PDF 271 kB)
A statewide COVID-19 Clinical Screening Assessment tool has been developed with the intent to enable Hospital and Health Services (HHSs) to appropriately assess the suitability for COVID-19 screening.
- Australian Health Sector Emergency Response Plan for Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)
This plan guides the Australian health sector response to COVID-19.
- Community management of mild COVID-19 illness in rural Queensland
The purpose of this document is to provide HHSs with rural facilitates, and the clinicians working in those communities, with a safe and consistent community management pathway within which patients would have not required inpatient care (i.e. mild COVID-19) can be kept in their communities.
- Patients entering Queensland for essential health care - Fact sheet for health care providers
This fact sheet defines essential health care and provides information for clinicians with patients who need to cross the border into Queensland to receive this care. Information is also available for patients who need to enter Queensland for essential health care
- PPE Statement (Statewide Infection Clinical Network) (PDF 5090 kB)
This Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) Statement details the endorsed Queensland Health Guidelines regarding PPE for the management of COVID-19.
- Management of Respiratory Failure in the response to COVID-19 (PDF 557 kB)
This joint statement outlines therapies which can be considered in caring for COVID-19 patients.
- COVID-19 Cancer Guidelines (PDF 518 kB)
- COVID-19 guidance for nurses and midwives
- COVID-19 and pregnancy: clinical guideline, operational framework and consumer information
- Kidney Patient COVID-19 Information Sheet (PDF 265 kB)
- Guiding principles for complex decision making during Pandemic COVID-19 – Australian and New Zealand Intensive Care Society
- SGMCN COVID-19 Action Plan
The Action Plan is a holistic approach to the management and containment of COVID-19 from the perspective of hospital-based general medicine services.
- Hospital in the Home Guideline (PDF 316 kB)
This addendum to the Hospital in the Home Guideline, provides recommendations regarding best practice for public HITH services across Queensland in the event of a pandemic, which is defined as the worldwide spread of a new disease.
- Hospital in the Home SAMPLE Clinical Pathway (PDF 185 kB)
- Hospital in the Home SAMPLE Direct GP Referral Process (PPT 594 kB)
- SICN COVID-19 Transmission position statement (PDF 157 kB) (28 July)
- Hierarchy of controls for prevention of COVID-19 transmission in hospitals (PDF 237 kB) (23 October)
- Guidance for persons in quarantine visiting residents receiving end-of-life care (PDF 95 kB) (20 November)
- Guidance on potential changes to anaesthetic drug usage and administration during pandemic emergency pressures (PDF 194 kB)
- COVID-19 advice for treatment providers (Queensland Opioid Treatment Program) (PDF 260 kB)
This information will help maintain care of patients during the COVID-19 pandemic response.
- Principles of ethical prescribing for self and others in the COVID-19 pandemic (PDF 284 kB)
- Guideline for ethical prescribing for self and others in the COVID-19 pandemic (PDF 231 kB)
- Direction informing prescribers about amended prescribing and dispensing requirements for hydroxychloroquine (PDF 85 kB)
- Direction informing pharmacists about amended prescribing and dispensing requirements for hydroxychloroquine (PDF 90 kB)
- GP Assessment and management of patients with suspected COVID-19 (PDF 1080 kB)
- GPs can access the latest information about COVID-19 in their HealthPathways (HP). Please always refer to the online version for the latest information.
- Visit HealthPathways to register if you would like access to HP information specific to your local area.
- Clinicians practicing in the Gold Coast or other areas without HP can access the COVID-19 HP here.
- Fever and respiratory clinics in Queensland as of 19 January 2021 (PDF 1044 kB)
- COVID-19 Primary Care Frequently asked questions (PDF 1126 kB)
Primary care updates
- COVID-19 Community Child Health Services Guidance for service provision
This document has been developed to support service adaptation by community child and youth health services in Queensland Hospital and Health Services (HHSs) during the COVID-19 Pandemic.
- COVID-19 Guidance for maternity and neonatal services
This site refers to the Maternity and Neonatal Clinical Guidelines page and contains information specific to the care of mothers and babies during the COVID-19 pandemic including flowcharts for neonates of suspected or confirmed COVID-19 mothers, operational frameworks for COVID-19 maternity and neonatal services as well as videos and consumer information.
- Queensland Child and Youth Clinical Network (QCYCN) COVID-19 Outpatient Working Group videos
The QCYCN COVID-19 Outpatients Working Group was established to coordinate a statewide response to the evolving management of outpatients at Queensland Health facilities during the COVID-19 pandemic. The working group has developed a number of online videos to ensure timely and accurate messaging with clinical network members and primary health care partners during the pandemic.
This Children’s Health Queensland site contains information specific to the emergency care of children during the COVID-19 outbreak including chest imaging guidelines, consensus statements on intubation and respiratory therapies and a paediatric airway checklist.
- National Health Professional Disability Telephone Advisory Service can be accessed on 1800 131 330 between 7am and 11pm - 7 days a week to assist health professionals involved in the care of people with disability diagnosed with COVID-19 or experiencing COVID-19 symptoms.
- Care for people with disability (COVID-19) checklist (PDF 444 kB)
- COVID-19 Testing Framework Implementation Plan for People with Disability (PDF)
- Disability Surge Sector Workforce Framework – COVID-19 Outbreak Planning and Preparation (PDF)
- COVID-19 Self-isolation requirements fact sheet (PDF 133 kB)
- Clinician wellbieng fact sheet (PDF 313 kB)
- Novel coronavirus topic in Queensland Health's Clinical Knowledge Network (CKN)
DynaMed, the Clinical Knowledge Network's (CKN) primary point of care tool, has created a new topic for novel coronavirus.
Help keep everyone safe from COVID-19 (PDF 90 kB)
COVID-19 visitor poster for healthcare facilities.
- Pandemic Kindness Website
Created by clinicians from across the nation, this website provides respected, evidence-informed resources to support the wellbeing of the health workforce.
- Boost your Healthy
Developed by Health and Wellbeing Queensland, this website provides support, inspiration and ideas to stay healthy and active during COVID-19.
- Support for vulnerable people
advice from Assoc. Prof. John Allan, Executive Director, Mental Health Alcohol and Other Drugs Branch on how COVID-19 may affect people with serious mental ill health.
- COVID-19 is no excuse for Domestic and Family Violence
Resources to support health clinicians to recognise, respond, and refer safely and appropriately to suspicions and disclosures of domestic and family violence.
- COVID 19 Resource Toolkit for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health Professionals (the Toolkit)
Information for consumers, including current advice on the number of confirmed cases in Queensland, can be found at COVID-19 coronavirus information for Queenslanders.