Bats and human health
Bats and flying foxes may carry bacteria and viruses which can be harmful to humans.
Although the risk of infection is low, people should avoid handling these animals.
If you find an injured bat or flying fox, contact the Department of Environment and Heritage Protection (1300 130 372), RSPCA (1300 ANIMAL) or your local wildlife care group/rescuer/carer for assistance. Do not attempt to assist the animal yourself.
Links to other resources
- Information for people who have found a sick or injured bat
- Protecting kids from Australian bat lyssavirus
- Workplace Health and Safety - Information about the Hendra virus in a workplace
- Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry
- Department of Environment and Heritage Protection - Flying Foxes
Other relevant sites - bat ecology and animal health
- Australasian Bat Society
- Lubee Bat Conservancy
- Australian Animal Health Laboratory
- Ecohealth Alliance
- Australian Wildlife Health Network