Hospital in the Home
This service offers an acute health program that substitutes admitted care for care in the home setting.
- Patients are considered inpatients of Rockhampton Hospital:
- Medical care is directed by the HITH medical team.
- Access to services is equivalent to any other inpatient.
- Medical and nursing support is provided 24 hours, 7 days.
- Nurse visits are daily.
Conditions accepted into the program:
- Infections needing intravenous (IV) antibiotics.
- Severe or extensive cellulitis.
- Confirmed or symptomatic urinary tract infections with resistant pathogens only susceptible to IV antibiotics.
- Infected bursitis, where surgery not required.
- Pyelonephritis, where pain is controlled.
- Infections requiring long‑term antibiotics – osteomyelitis, septic arthritis, endocarditis
- Uncomplicated diabetic foot infections.
- Infected chronic venous ulcers.
- Post‑operative wound infections.
- Confirmed deep vein thrombosis (DVT) requiring bridging Clexane and warfarinisation.
- Methyl prednisolone for multiple sclerosis in consultation with treating neurologist or specialist physician.
- Other conditions as assessed by the medical officer
- Aged > 16 years
- Clinically stable with a confirmed diagnosis
- Consented to treatment
- Safe home environment and telephone access
- Cognitively intact, or has sufficient carer support available
- Willing to attend hospital where needed for procedures, reviews or investigations during course of treatment
- Unstable vital signs
- Systemic toxicity
- Unclear diagnosis
- Immediate need for further investigations or procedures
- HITH is not a substitute for patients unwilling to be admitted to ward‑based care.
Information for referrals
The Hospital in the Home service in Rockhampton accepts direct general practitioner requests.
To request assessment, or discuss treatment plan, phone HITH doctor on:
- (07) 4920 7500
- 0428 190 032
If patient is accepted, arrange an appointment by contacting (07) 4920 7500.
Complete a HITH request form and fax to (07) 4920 7029. Include the most recent blood and microbiology results.
Inform the patient of appointment time and service location – 82 to 86 Bolsover Street, Rockhampton, QLD 4700.