BreastScreen provides a free screening mammography to eligible women every 2 years.
BreastScreen provides a "well-woman" screening service, not intended for women with breast cancer or with symptoms of possible breast cancer (refer to a service for Breast Imaging - Diagnostic).
- Women with a valid medicare card aged 50 to 74 years are eligible.
- Women aged 40 to 49 years, and those aged ≥ 75 years are also currently able to attend for a free breast screen every 2 years.
- Women who are not eligible unless there is no alternative pathway are those who:
- have been diagnosed with breast cancer within the past five years.
- have a current active sign of breast cancer.
Women aged < 40 years or with breast symptoms.
You can refer your patient, or your patient can self-refer.