Urgent referrals and triage categories
Urgent referrals must be discussed with the Registrar of the speciality.
Phone the relevant registrar via the Hospital’s switchboard:
Rockhampton Hospital (07) 4920 6211
Gladstone Hospital (07) 4976 3179
Emerald Hospital (07) 4987 9400
Queensland Health criteria for allocation of clinical urgency categories
All referrals received by the Specialist Outpatients Department will be categorised based on the following criteria:
- Appointment within thirty (30) days is desirable; AND
- Condition will require more complex or emergent care if assessment is delayed; AND
- Condition will have significant impact on quality of life if care is delayed beyond thirty (30) days.
- Appointment within ninety (90) days is desirable; AND
- Condition has potential to require more complex care if assessment is delayed; AND
- Condition has the potential to have some impact on quality of life if care is delayed beyond ninety (90) days.
- Appointment within 365 days desirable; AND
- Condition is unlikely to deteriorate quickly; AND
- Condition is unlikely to require more complex care if assessment is delayed beyond 365 days.
Once the referral has been categorised, the patient is added to the waitlist and will receive a phone call or letter about their appointment.