Day Therapy Unit
The Day Therapy Unit is where our patients receive chemotherapy and other treatments that the specialists have ordered.
The staff working in the Day Therapy Unit (DTU) do so because they have genuine interest and enthusiasm for delivering the best possible care for people with cancer in Central Queensland. This care and support also extend to family and friends.
The nurses have all completed specialised training so that they can deliver treatments safely and competently. They undertake ongoing education and training to ensure that their knowledge is current and their skills are best practice.
Pre-treatment education sessions are organised by the Day Therapy Nurses. In the sessions a nurse will provide you with information about your treatment and will answer any of your immediate questions. You will be invited to bring a support person to this session.
Being prepared for your treatment is important. Many of our patients tell us that they feel relieved and reassured after their pre- treatment education session.
It is important to bring a list of medications and supplements that you are currently taking as you will be meeting one of our pharmacists at the end of the session.
We offer the education in different ways:
- Face to face session
- Zoom meeting
Your education is ongoing and the Day Therapy Unit staff are happy to answer your questions at any time.
Preparing for your DTU appointment
To prepare for your appointment:
- You will be asked to get your blood tests done prior to your appointment
- Take your medications as usual (unless asked to withhold).
- Eat as usual
- Help us to help you and drink plenty of fluids to hydrate well the day before and the day of your treatment. This makes putting the needle in for your treatment easier.
- Bring a book or a quiet activity
The Day Therapy Unit provides:
- Comfortable chairs
- Allied health (by appointment)
- Medical reviews (if required)
- Light lunch
- Morning and afternoon tea.
- Assistance with travel forms
On discharge you will be given
When you leave the Day Therapy Unit you will be given:
- Medications to be taken
- Next appointment(s)
- Blood request form