Our Pharmacy Department is an important part of our healthcare team dedicated to your care and treatment. All pharmacy staff deliver services promoting the safe and effective use of medicines.
We provide medicines to outpatients and day admitted patients at our satellite pharmacy within the Cancer Care Services.
The satellite pharmacy is located on the Ground Floor, New Ward Block, Rockhampton Hospital.
For your safety, we ask that you keep us up-to-date about all the medications you are taking, why and how often.
This includes medications available from health food shops, supermarkets and over the counter in pharmacies such as:
- Tablets, capsules, liquids, patches, creams and ointments
- Drops and sprays for the eyes, nose, ears and mouth
- Inhalers and puffers
- Injections or implants
- Pessaries or suppositories
- Alternative medicines (herbs & vitamins)
We focus on promoting the safe and effective use of medication through:
- Medication histories on presentation
- Inpatient medication chart reviews
- Involvement in outpatient clinics
- Medication counselling to patients
- Delivery of drug information to medical, nursing and other health professionals
- Therapeutic drug monitoring
- Training and ongoing education of staff
Before you arrive
When you come to the hospital, please bring any medications you are currently taking including non-prescription or herbal medicines and a list of medications, if you have one.
Medications during your stay
Our priority is to keep you safe and provide you with the best treatment and care.
This means we need to know about all medications you are currently taking and if you have any allergies.
Our pharmacists will:
- Establish an accurate medication history
- Work with the healthcare team to select the most appropriate medication for your care
- Offer medication advice to doctors, nurses and other healthcare professionals within the hospital
- Dispense medicines for you
- Explain the purpose, dose, how to use/take your medication and possible side effects
- Develop a plan for the use of your medications
Do I have to pay for medications?
Here at the Rockhampton Hospital our Pharmacy Department follows the state-wide Queensland Health Policy, Consistent patient charges for pharmaceuticals in Queensland Health institutions.
Doctors may write you prescriptions while you are in the hospital. You can use this prescription at the hospital pharmacy, which will have the same Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme co-payment as pharmacies in the community.
If you have any concerns regarding billing of your medicines, please speak with our Pharmacy staff.