Older Persons Mental Health Acute Inpatient Unit
We provide acute care and management for older people (generally over 65) who have severe mental health disorders and require inpatient admission. The inpatient unit has 8 beds and is located in the Mental Health building on the Rockhampton Hospital campus.
- Comprehensive assessment
- Collaborative treatment
- Recovery planning
- Risk assessment
- Discharge planning for the people whose assessed level of risk and limited social supports make alternative inpatient or community care inappropriate
Family and significant others are actively encouraged to visit and be involved in the care of their loved one. There are three designated parking bays including a disabled park outside the unit.
Who can access the service
- People aged over 65 years
- Indigenous people 50 years and over
- those below 65 years old who present with psychiatric disorders and age-related issues and other co-morbidities.
How to access this service
Referrals to the inpatient service can come from:
- Emergency Department
- Acute Care Team
- Mental Health Consultation Liaison Service
- Community Mental Health Teams