Sub Acute Geriatric Evaluation (SAGE)
The SAGE unit cares for patients mostly over the age of 65, or those with age related conditions. The unit is for patients who are not sick enough for an acute hospital bed, but not well enough to go home.
Our team is made up of staff from different areas:
- Speech pathology
- Occupational Therapy
- Social Work
- assess and manage age related conditions.
- help patients set goals while working towards discharge.
- help patients (where possible) to return to community living with additional support.
- provide care to people who are waiting permanent placement in residential care facility.
- liaise with community and residential services.
The SAGE unit also offers outpatient Geriatric clinics.
Who can access this service
Hospital patients who are over 65 (over 50 for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people) who have been assessed by the Sub Acute Flying Evaluation (SAFE) Team.
How to access this service
Referrals can be made by treating teams in hospitals to the SAFE team who handle assessments and admissions to the SAGE unit.