School Based Youth Health Service
The School Based Youth Health Service works with young people, school staff and parents in State Secondary Schools. CQ Health has School Based Youth Health Nurses at:
- Rockhampton State High School
- North Rockhampton State High School
- Glenmore State High School
- Mt Morgan State High Shool
- Capricornia Distance Education
School based youth health nurses offer individual health consultations to provide assessment, support, health information and referral. It is a voluntary confidential service for young people. Topics that school based youth health nurses help with include:
- Feeling sad, worried or angry
- Healthy skin
- Health eating and physical actvity
- Personal and family problems
- Growth and development
- Sexual health
- Smoking, alcohol and other drugs
Youth health nurses also work with the school community on issues that may affect the health and wellbeing of young people and the school community as a whole. This includes:
- helping with the school the school curriculum
- teaching and learning activities
- providing information and referral
- supporting the development of an environment and school culture that supports health and wellbeing
Young people have the right to confidentiality when accessing health services.
Confidentiality means not talking to others about your personal stuff. As a health service provider the youth health nurse respects your privacy but there are some things that are which the nurse must refer or act upon. Please discuss what is expected about confidentially with the youth health nurse.
How to access this service
Parents or young people can self-refer or a referral can be made by a health professional or school staff.
Contact your state secondary school office to enquire how an appointment is made.