X-ray Operator Videoconference Assessment
This is a four hour session via videoconference to meet the requirements of annual assessment for X-ray operator (XO) licence renewal. These sessions will include image review, scenario discussions and oral questions.
Some pre-assessment activities may also be required (e.g. an online quiz, and/or a recording of a simulated role play scenario).
If you require hands-on training in a clinical radiographic setting you should first approach your local Radiographic Advisor (RA). Alternatively, you can enrol in a two-day X-ray Operator Training and Assessment Workshop.
This workshop is open to currently licensed XOs from within Queensland Health, who meet the pre-requisites listed below. Requests to book these assessment sessions must be made via your local Radiographic Advisor (RA) to the AHET team via X-ray-Operator-Support@health.qld.gov.au.
To be eligible to attend these workshops, XOs will need to meet the following criteria:
- hold a radiation licence for at least two consecutive years, with no non-routine conditions or licence restrictions imposed. A copy of your current use licence will need to be submitted.
- submit a RA report (template provided by AHET) stating:
- no notable performance concerns or radiation incidents
- support for attendance at this assessment and re-licensing
- at least 15 hours of face-to-face or remote training has provided by a radiographer preceding 12 months.
- demonstrate the total number of examinations performed in the previous 12 months was at least 40 examinations, from a range of anatomical regions.
- provide electronic access to all examinations since the last annual assessment.
If you are unsure of your eligibility, please contact the Cunningham Centre directly on 4699 8097.
This assessment session is facilitated by a radiographer within the Allied Health Education and Training team.
This videoconference workshop is delivered in a single four hour period.
Assessment will be conducted by a Radiation Health Endorsed Radiographer and will be based on:
- your performance during the videoconference session
- review of your radiographic examinations (via PACS or another electronic medium)
- results of the online quiz and any other pre-assessment activities
- feedback from your local Radiographic Advisor.
XOs who require an annual assessment but do not utilise the Queensland Health Enterprise PACS system will need to contact the Cunningham Centre six weeks prior to the assessment session to organise access to all examinations performed since their last assessment. It is not appropriate for identified examinations to be recorded on disc or USB and posted via mail.
|Prices as at 1 January 2019|
|Tier 1A | Payment by Darling Downs HHS work unit||$275.00|
|Tier 1B | Payment by Queensland Health work unit||$365.00|
|Tier 2 | Payment by self funded Queensland Health employee||N/A|
|Tier 3 | Payment by external participant or private organisation ^||N/A|
^ Tier 3 includes GST.
Please refer to the following documents for further information:
- X-ray Operator Services Guideline | QH-GDL-363:2015
- Reimbursements | Policy QH-POL-214
- Radiation Safety Act 1999 – Application and Licence Fees – ‘Use’ Licences | Policy QH-POL-209
Please refer to our fees and payment page for more detail on our pricing model and payment options.
Queensland Health X-ray operators are entitled to have any fees for Radiation Use Licences fees either paid or reimbursed. Rural facilities are also required to fund the fees associated with this assessment session.
Please refer to the following documents for further information and to confirm your eligibility:
Please bring your own pens, notepads, your local positioning manual and a copy of your local radiographic protocols. Please print and bring along a copy of your individual assessment summary which will be emailed to you prior to the workshop.
All XOs will need access to either the Queensland Health videoconferencing network or a PC with webcam if webinar software is used. XOs are responsible for booking these resources locally.
A Statement of Completion will be issued to XOs who have successfully participated in all components of the assessment. XOs practising in rural Queensland who successfully meet the pre-determined assessment benchmarks will also be provided with a Radiation Health Certificate of Competency for annual licence renewal by an Endorsed Radiographer.
Attendance at this workshop will not automatically result in a Certificate of Competency for licensing purposes. Any XO that does not meet the pre-determined benchmarks will be provided with feedback so that any recurrent or significant issues can be addressed. Where an XO falls well below the pre-determined benchmarks, remedial training with a local RA may be required prior to being re-assessed at a later stage.
Participation in this professional development activity may contribute to continuing professional development (CPD) requirements for the purposes of registration and/or professional association membership. Please refer to the specific CPD requirements of your registration board and/or professional association to confirm.
You are encouraged to utilise the assessment summary feedback as part of your PAD process.
VC assessments are conducted on a request-basis only. The request must come from your RA who supports your involvement in a VC assessment. Your RA will need to provide the following details to X-ray-Operator-Support@health.qld.gov.au:
- a list of four XOs who they recommend for re-licensing via this assessment format
- licence expiry dates for each XO
- evidence of how the pre-requisite performance benchmarks have been met - see 'Are there any pre-requisites or admission requirements?'
Once accepted participants are required to complete an online enrolment and submit a completed payment form. Places are only confirmed after this completed documentation is submitted and a confirmation email has been received from the XO Support team.
Available VC session dates can be negotiated. Please contact the Cunningham Centre if you're interested in scheduling a VC assessment session.
X-ray Operator Support, Allied Health Education and Training
t. 07 4699 8097