Skip links and keyboard navigation

A History of Kingaroy Hospital

The original Kingaroy General Hospital was officially opened on 18 November 1914, high on an impressive 5 acre block on the hillside overlooking Kingaroy on what is now known as Apex Park. The crowd who attended the opening ceremony was jubilant after their long wait for a hospital. People of the Kingaroy District had been subscribing to the hospital appeal for a number of years, and the below image was taken at a fundraising event, which was held to coincide with the opening of the hospital.

Fundraising event at opening of Kingaroy Hospital

The erection of the Nurses' Quarters and Infectious Ward followed in 1919. The new buildings are shown in the bottom row of the image below, with the Infectious Ward on the bottom left, and the Nurses' Quarters shown on the right.

Archival image of Kingaroy Hospital and Nurses quarters

In 1939 construction of the hospital building on Youngman St was completed and the facility opened to the public.

Opening of new hospital in 1939

In 1990 the new wards were officially opened. In the image below, the new buildings are shown nestled in the front of the older facility.

Aerial shot of Kingaroy Hospital

Photo of front of Kingaroy Hospital

2017 – Matron Farr Oral and Community Health facility constructed

2018 exterior of Kingaroy Hospital image


Hospital Milestones

1914 Original Kingaroy General Hospital built on what is now known as Apex Park
1939 Construction of original hospital building
1940 Nurses quarters building – now administration building built
1965 Maternity building built. It was renovated to residential (Farrhome) in 1993 and demolished in 2016
1965 Maternity ward in hospital converted to outpatient department and ward
1973 Bottom floor of nurses quarters building converted to offices
1979 Top half of nurses quarters building converted to offices
1979 Major renovations to ground floor of hospital
1989 Ward building built onto original building hospital building
1990 Maternity moved back in hospital building
1994 Accident and Emergency extension onto original Hospital building
1997 Dental administration extension to original hospital building
1998 New main entry to hospital, modifications to emergency department and outpatient department,
relocation of pathology and pharmacy
2009 Staff accommodation built
2010 Renal unit established
2012 Griffith accommodation and training rooms Allied Health building
2018 Matron Farr Oral and Community Health facility constructed.

Last updated: 17 October 2017