Working for Queensland Health, employees are entitled to leave under several circumstances.
Annual / recreation leave
- Nurses and midwives receive five weeks paid annual leave (six weeks for shift workers). You can also choose to take leave at half-pay for double the period of time.
- Medical imaging and radiation professionals are entitled to 5 weeks recreation leave per year. Leave loading for 4 weeks will be distributed across 5 weeks recreation leave.
- All other health professionals, administration, scientific, technical and trade staff are entitled to 4 weeks recreation leave per year.
- In addition, 17.5% loading on annual leave with up to 27.5% for shift workers.
- Recreation leave can be taken at half pay for double the period of time.
- Queensland Health may be able to support nurses and midwives with family responsibilities, study or personal commitments by allowing you to purchase up to an extra six weeks leave per year.
Sick / carers leave
- Queensland Health employees receive 10 days sick leave per year, which is accruable.
- You can use your accrued sick leave to care for a member of your immediately family who is sick.
- Queensland Health may be able to support nursing and allied health professionals with family responsibilities, study or personal commitments by allowing you to purchase up to an extra 6 weeks leave per year.
Long service leave
- 13 weeks long service leave after completing 10 years continuous service, which may be taken pro rata after completing 7 years continuous service.
- 14 weeks paid maternity or adoption leave which may be taken at half pay for double the time.
- 1 week paid spousal leave which may be taken at half pay for double the time.
- Employees on maternity, adoption or spousal leave are also entitled to take a period of unpaid leave.
- Health professionals may be able to negotiate to take leave without pay for a period of up to 12 months to support career development.
Last updated: 26 July 2019