Skip links and keyboard navigation

Visas and sponsorships

Queensland Health recognises the value internationally skilled clinical professionals add to our workforce.

International applicants will require a visa to work in Australia. Queensland Health will assist future employees with information about visas during the employment process.

Business sponsorship

There are a range of visas that allow overseas candidates to work in Australia. The most common visas used by Queensland Health to sponsor health professionals are:

Temporary Employer Sponsored Visa

The main temporary work visa in Australia is the subclass 482 Temporary Skills Shortage (TSS) visa. The Department of Home Affairs replaced the previous subclass 457 Temporary Work (Skilled) visa with the TSS visa on 18 March 2018.

The TSS visa allows the visa holder to work in a nominated occupation for the sponsor or an associated entity of the sponsor. Nominated occupations are set out via a legislative instrument and divided into occupations on the Short Term Skilled Occupation List (STSOL), and the Medium and Long Term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL), and the Regional Occupation List (ROL). The nominated occupation list is subject to regular review and change by The Department of Home Affairs.

Employer Nominated Scheme (ENS):

This visa provides permanent residency for highly skilled staff from overseas, or temporary residents currently in Australia. This visa can be sought when the employer is unable to fill a vacancy from within the Australian labour market or through their own training programs. For more information visit Employer Nomination Scheme visa.

Independent applications

Health professionals are able to apply independently for:

Registration requirements

Additional registration requirements exist for clinicians who complete their qualifications in a country other than Australia. This may include an application for recognition of qualifications through the regulatory authority for your specialty/discipline.

Find out about requirements to practise:

Australian citizenship

You can become a citizen of Australia in different ways and applicants for Australian citizenship must meet certain requirements and criteria before making an application.

Read more about Australian citizenship.

Last updated: 9 September 2019

The Department of Home Affairs

The Department of Home Affairs provides a comprehensive overview of the visa requirements for working in Australia.

They also offer the SkillSelect online service that enables skilled workers interested in migrating to Australia to record their details to be considered for an independent skilled visa or nomination by Australian employers or governments.

Read more about residency visas and citizenship requirements, including eligibility, application requirements, obligations and exempt ions for permanent residence visas.