Skip links and keyboard navigation


Our psychologists work with people to help them manage behavioural issues, learning difficulties, mental health issues, trauma and loss. You need to meet certain requirements to practice.

As a psychologist, you may work in the community, or in a hospital to diagnose, develop strategies and provide evidence-based treatment for problems including:

  • depression
  • anxiety
  • other mental health and behavioural issues.

We offer opportunities for psychologists in the following clinical areas:

  • mental health services for adults, children and youth
  • alcohol, tobacco and other drugs
  • neuropsychology
  • acute services such as surgical and critical care
  • palliative care
  • oncology
  • chronic pain management
  • chronic disease management
  • older persons
  • early intervention in child and community health
  • Outreach services in prisons and juvenile correctional facilities.

Qualification and registration requirements

To practice as a psychologist in Australia you must be registered with the Psychology Board of Australia.

You may also need to be endorsed in an approved area of practice by the Psychology Board of Australia for some psychology roles in Queensland Health.

Mandatory qualifications needed for the role are listed in the role advertisement.

International qualifications

If you're a psychologist who qualified in another country, your qualifications will be assessed as part of the registration application process with the Psychology Board of Australia.

If you have current registration and a certificate that allows you to practise as a psychologist in New Zealand, you may be able to apply for registration in Australia under the Trans-Tasman Mutual Recognition Act 1997.

Overseas qualified psychologists can find more information on the Psychology Board of Australia registration website.

Last updated: 11 June 2014