Skip links and keyboard navigation

What you need to work for us

There are certain things you need to do before you can apply for a job with Queensland Health if you are an overseas applicant.

Professional registration

Before you can apply for a job with us, you need to gain registration as a health professional in Australia. You can do this through the relevant board for your field. You can find information about the national boards on the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (Ahpra) website.

Depending on your profession, you may need to have your overseas qualifications recognised through a regulatory authority for your speciality or discipline. Find out about requirements to practice for the following professions:

Visa requirements

You’ll need a visa to work for us. We can help with your visa requirements if you’re successful in gaining a job with us.

There are a range of visas that allow overseas candidates to work in Australia. Which visa is right for you depends on the following:

  • the role you are applying for
  • your specific skills and qualifications
  • other personal circumstances.

For example, for some visas you may need to be a certain age, and your employer may nominate and process some visas.

We may offer sponsorship to you to fill a skilled clinical vacancy, if you meet immigration requirements. We most commonly sponsor the following Department of Home Affairs visa categories:

All other visa holders

You may also be able to work for us under a different visa. There are a number of visas that give you working and study rights in Australia. We don’t arrange these visas. You can arrange to get one yourself or speak to a registered migration agent. You can search for registered migration agents on the Department of Home Affairs OMARA portal.

Last updated: 19 April 2023