Eligibility and how to apply
It is recognised that some applicants may have extenuating circumstances at the time of application that may limit their ability to work in one or more locations in Queensland.
Eligible Applicant Group A candidates can apply for special consideration (SC) to be allocated to either the South East corner group or to an individual hospital. Applications for SC are assessed by the Review Committee prior to the ballot process.
Decisions made by the Review Committee are final and are not subject to challenge or appeal.
Please note: Candidates cannot apply for an exemption or special consideration to both the South East corner group and an individual hospital, and cannot apply if they have submitted a joint ticket application.
To be eligible to apply for SC, candidates must be Applicant Group A; and apply under one of two rules:
- Rule 1 - Have exceptional compassionate grounds or other exceptional reasons that would cause significant personal or family hardship. For example, major health problem requiring frequent and ongoing highly specialised treatment only available in certain locations; separation from a partner or dependent that would have significant negative impacts on the functioning of the applicant and/or dependent and is not feasibly remediable; OR
- Rule 2 - Demonstrated commitment or ties to rural or regional Queensland with an intention to practice in these locations in the long-term.
Applicants can only apply to one of the above rules and applications must be submitted with the appropriate supporting documentation (refer below).
How to apply
On your application, at Step 3 – Other Details you need to:
- select 'Special Consideration'
- the location (South East corner or individual hospital) you are applying to.
- select the rule you are applying under; and
- provide a brief statement in the free text box regarding your special consideration request.
Soon after the general applications close, you will receive an email that advises the:
- due date for supporting documentation; and
- method of submission.
Please note: only candidates that have nominated an oversubscribed hospital will be asked to provide supporting documentation.
Candidates will be notified of the outcome of their SC request by email when the general intern offers are released.
Rule 1: Have exceptional compassionate grounds or other exceptional reasons that would cause significant personal or family hardship.
Candidates applying under rule one must supply the following:
- a certified copy of a Queensland statutory declaration detailing the applicant's potential hardship and list the documents which have been supplied to support the request for special consideration;
- a certified copy of a Queensland statutory declaration made from person(s) other than the applicant and confirm the applicants claim;
- certified copy of Medical certificate/s/other supporting documentation stating what the exceptional compassionate grounds or other exceptional reasons are;
- certified copy of evidence of the compassionate circumstances. For example, where special consideration is sought due to medical condition, there must be sufficient evidence that treatment for the medical condition cannot be transferred to another facility location.
Rule 2: Demonstrated commitment or ties to rural or regional Queensland with an intention to practice in these locations in the long-term.
Candidates applying under rule two must supply the following;
- Statutory declaration outlining their rural/regional experience and their intention to practice in this location in the future
NB: Family members cannot:
- witness or sign any declarations
- certify any documents.
Download the Queensland statutory declaration (these can also be obtained from any Australia Post Office).
Commonwealth statutory declarations will not be accepted.
All documents must be certified by a Commissioner for Declarations, Justice of the Peace, solicitor (or other approved delegate) as true copies of the originals.
The Review Committee will not assess partially completed SC applications.
South East corner hospitals
In the application, Group A candidates applying for special consideration for an allocation to the South East corner group must nominate the following hospitals first, followed by the Individual hospital.
- Caboolture Hospital
- Gold Coast University Hospital
- Ipswich Hospital
- Logan Hospital
- Mater Health Services
- Princess Alexandra Hospital
- Queen Elizabeth II Jubilee Hospital
- Redcliffe Hospital
- Royal Brisbane and Women's Hospital
- The Prince Charles Hospital
Candidates with an approved special consideration to the South East corner group are still subject to the ballot process. If a candidate nominates an oversubscribed hospital, the candidate will:
- participate in the ballot process
- if randomly selected in the ballot, be removed from the oversubscribed hospital; and then
- allocated to their next available (undersubscribed) hospital preference within the South East corner group.
Candidates applying for a special consideration to be allocated to the South East corner group should ensure that they have considered and preferenced undersubscribed facilities within this region.
The Review Committee may decline an application for special consideration if there is an under-subscribed South East corner hospital within reasonable distance of the candidates residence.
Check which hospitals are under-subscribed in the position status report when completing your online application.
Applying for special consideration to one of the individual hospitals means you are seeking exemption from being subject to a ballot process, thus ensuring your allocation to that hospital.
Hospitals classed as individual are:
- Bundaberg Hospital
- Cairns Hospital
- Hervey Bay Hospital
- Mackay Base Hospital
- Rockhampton Hospital
- Sunshine Coast University Hospital
- Toowoomba Hospital
- Townsville Hospital.
Note: If you are applying for Special Consideration under Rule 2: Demonstrated commitment or ties to rural or regional Queensland with an intention to practice in these locations in the long-term, all Individual Hospitals are considered Rural and Remote (R&R) for the purposes of the intern recruitment campaign except the Sunshine Coast University Hospital.
The campaign uses the Modified Monash Model (MMM) classification system to determine rural and remote status (MM 2 to MM 7) More information can be assessed on the MMM classification system here.
Applicants wanting to apply for Special Consideration to the Sunshine Coast University Hospital can only apply through Rule 1.