This is only offered for applicant group A candidates, and is always at the hospital’s discretion. Approval for a late start is not guaranteed.
Participating hospitals expect that all medical graduates appointed to intern positions will commence duty at the beginning of the medical year (January).
Hospitals' ability to deliver services is always the priority:
- Some hospitals may be able to accommodate applicant group A candidates who require a later start, but this is never a guaranteed process. When it is possible, later starters, usually commence in term 2 of the clinical year.
- All hospitals reserve the right to withdraw an offer of internship if a medical graduate cannot start at the beginning of the medical year or as otherwise agreed. This includes circumstances where graduates can't start because of:
- failure to complete MBBS course requirements
- delays to visa approval
- delays to registration with the Medical Board of Australia.
How to apply for a late start
Applicant group A candidates who know at the time of application that they may require a late start should:
- consider preferencing hospitals that have indicated they may be able to accommodate late starters between January and April. These details are in the facilities frequently asked questions documents.
- always contact hospitals before applying to determine if a late start can be accommodated.
If a late start requirement is only known after acceptance of a position, it is the applicants responsibility to contact the relevant hospital directly to discuss whether a late start can be accommodated.
Contact the hospitals directly to ask about their ability to offer late starts.
Approval can only be granted by the relevant hospital.
If you are offered a late start you should maintain contact with hospital recruitment teams and advise as soon as possible if there are any changes to your circumstances which may impede your ability to start the internship training.
NB: Approved late start requests are still subject to the ballot process should that hospital be oversubscribed. If a candidate requiring a late start is balloted to another hospital it is their responsibility to negotiate their start date. The decision to accommodate a late start is always at the hospital's discretion. Approval for a late start is not guaranteed.
If you miss the beginning of your internship year, you may need to seek a contract extension or re-apply to repeat all or part of your internship the following year.
Read more about repeating an internship.