Applicant group A candidates may seek a transfer from their allocated hospital to a vacancy which arises at another hospital if they have extenuating circumstances (e.g. compassionate grounds or other compelling reasons).
This is only offered for Applicant group A candidates, and is always at the hospital’s discretion.
Approval for a transfer is not guaranteed.
Requests for a transfer to or from an interstate facility are not considered.
Requests for transfers are assessed on a case by case basis. They involve negotiation between the:
- Receiving hospital (facility the applicant wishes to transfer to)
- Sending hospital (current allocated hospital).
If one hospital does not agree to the transfer, the transfer is denied. Then the original allocation will stand and the applicant will be required to remain in that hospital to complete their internship.
How to apply for a transfer
Transfers are only considered where there are extenuating circumstances, for example on compassionate grounds or other compelling reasons.
Applicants wishing to transfer must:
- check the facilities' frequently asked questions documents and make sure they are able to accommodate transfers.
- contact medical recruiters to confirm that your preferred hospital (the receiving hospital) has a vacancy.
- provide a detailed written explanation of your situation, reason for their request, and current hospital allocation to the:
- Medical recruiters at both the receiving hospital and the sending hospital; and
- cc Intern Campaign Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org
The medical recruiter of the receiving hospital will seek written approval for the transfer from their Director of Medical Services (or delegate).
- Once approved the receiving hospital sends an offer of transfer to the sending hospital.
The medical recruiter of the sending hospital will seek written approval for the transfer from their Director of Medical Services (or delegate).
- Once approved the sending hospital accepts the offer of transfer.
Following agreement between the sending and receiving hospitals both medical recruiters forward written approval from their delegates to the Intern Campaign Coordinator.
The Intern Campaign Coordinator will:
- update the online application system to reflect the transfer (once confirmation is received from both delegates)
- advise all parties involved accordingly.