Queensland Respiratory Medicine Advanced Training Pathway
Advanced training positions in Respiratory Medicine are recruited via a centralised, statewide recruitment process that is supported by the Heads of Respiratory Medicine and/or Directors of Advanced Training at Queensland hospitals accredited for advanced training.
The Respiratory Medicine Advanced Trainee is a trainee registrar of the Royal Australasian College of Physicians (RACP). The trainee provides inpatient and outpatient medical services within the Department of Respiratory Medicine and a consultative service to other departments. It is intended that the trainee will maximise their professional development, with a view to completing specialist training according to the guidelines of the RACP and the Thoracic Society of Australia and New Zealand (TSANZ) and expected that the trainee will be involved in the professional development of junior medical staff.
Please note, in Queensland there are different applications for advanced training in Respiratory Medicine and advanced training in Sleep Medicine. Sleep Medicine positions are for 12 months and are usually allocated to applicants who have completed core training in Respiratory Medicine. Applicants wishing to apply for Sleep Medicine training should contact Dr Theron Sather, Princess Alexandra Hospital (phone 07 31762698) for further information.
To be eligible to apply for an advanced training position, applicants must be:
- a current RACP Advanced Trainee in Respiratory Medicine (at the time of application)
- a new applicant
- registered or in the process of obtaining registration with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA)
- at least 3 years of recent, post-intern clinical experience in internal medicine or its sub-specialties
- successful completion of the FRACP clinical examination of the RACP (or intending to sit the examination in 2021*)
*Applicants who fail to pass the clinical exam are not eligible for an appointment and their application will not be considered.
A sound knowledge of and commitment to the Code of Conduct for the Queensland Public Service.
How to apply
Applicants seeking an advanced training position should review the following information:
- the role description for 1st year (PDF 248 kB)
- the role description for 2/3rd year (PDF 253 kB)
- the Respiratory Medicine accredited training sites and contact details (PDF 219 kB)
- the Respiratory Medicine preference guide (PDF 320 kB)
Applicants must submit the following:
- an online Queensland Health RMO campaign application including the Queensland Respiratory Medicine Advanced Training Pathway section on the application.
- two (2) completed referee reports
Note: Late applications for advanced training in Respiratory Medicine will not be accepted.
There are 10 hospitals in Queensland that are accredited for Advanced Training in Respiratory Medicine.
- Cairns Hospital
- Gold Coast University Hospital
- Greenslopes Private Hospital
- Logan Hospital
- Mater Brisbane
- Princess Alexandra Hospital
- Royal Brisbane and Women′s Hospital
- Sunshine Coast University Hospital
- The Prince Charles Hospital
- Townsville University Hospital
Interview, selection and offer dates
The recruitment and selection process will comply with relevant Queensland Health policies including the principles of equal employment opportunity. All applications to the pathway will be reviewed by the Oversight Committee. The committee uses assessment criteria to determine eligibility and suitability of applicants for appointment to pathway positions within Queensland Health. Late applications for advanced training in Respiratory Medicine will not be considered.
The selection process will be a panel interview with the Directors (or delegates) of each hospital. Positions will be allocated primarily according to ranking based on written application, including CV, referee reports, interview and other mitigating circumstances.
Current Queensland Respiratory Medicine trainees
Notification of interview: 6th August 2021
Applicant interview: 19th August 2021
Applicant selection notification: 20th August 2021
New Queensland Respiratory Medicine trainees
Notification of interview: 13th Aug 2021
Applicant interview: 20th Aug 2021
Applicant selection notification: 20st August 2021
For information about the application process, email Susan Adams at firstname.lastname@example.org