Nursing and midwifery are careers with a vast range of opportunities, both for the individual and for the health care system. There are now more employment opportunities available for graduate nurses and midwives with Queensland Health providing offers of up to 4000 places to suitably qualified nursing and midwifery graduates, until 2019.
These additional roles will increase capacity within the health system and contribute to the development of a sustainable Queensland nursing and midwifery workforce.
Graduate opportunities extend to a wide range of clinical areas and geographical locations, including rural and remote health services. Some programs are ward-based, while others are rotations which may be through a number of wards in a single facility or in rural Hospital and Health Services (HHSs) that may cover a range of facilities.
2018 annual graduate recruitment
The annual graduate intake occurs in August each year.
The Queensland Health 2018 graduate nurse and midwife recruitment will run from 31 July to 25 August 2017. You may visit the Queensland Government Graduate Portal and ‘Register for email alerts’ to receive notifications of opening and closing dates of future graduate recruitments.
For those who applied in the previous recruitment campaigns and are still available for offers, you are encouraged to reapply as long as you are within the eligibility period (refer to “Who is eligible” below).
Who is eligible?
To apply to the Queensland Health 2018 graduate registered nurse and midwife recruitment via the Queensland Government Graduate Portal, you must:
- have completed your first university undergraduate nursing or midwifery course within the past TWO years – that is, between July 2015 and July 2017 – or be due to complete your course by December 2017.
- be eligible to apply for Nursing or Midwifery registration with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA).
- meet the requirements of documentation and identity checks required by the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia (NMBA).
- not have worked as a registered nurse or midwife for more than six months full time equivalent.
Graduate enrolled nurses and enrolled nurses are not eligible to apply. You will need to contact a HHS directly to apply for employment.
Before you apply
Read the Graduate nurse and midwife recruitment prospectus for 2018 (PDF, 226KB)
- Make sure you are eligible to be registered with the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia (NMBA).
- Ensure you have the documentation required for registration through NMBA.
- Update your resume to include all your clinical placements.
- Contact your referees and confirm they are willing to complete the Referee Report should you be selected for interview. These are available as either Microsoft Word or PDF documents:
Referee Report (PDF, 262KB)
Referee Report (DOC, 770KB)
- Research your preferred hospitals, and decide if your clinical preferences match your hospital preferences.
- Read the application tips (PDF, 1.06MB for advice about your application)
- Complete the Graduate Summary (DOC, 787 KB).
Submit your application
When the graduate recruitment opens on 31 July 2017, applications are submitted via the Queensland Government Graduate Portal under ‘Register your interest’. Please note: new applicants must register for an account before commencing their application. All HHSs in Queensland are available for selection in your one application. Recruiters at the HHSs you listed as preferences will review your application.
Please note that only ONE application will be accepted by the portal from the same individual. For graduates who submitted more than one application, the portal will only accept the first application and remove any subsequent submissions.
To ensure the safety and security of employees, Queensland Health requires a number of pre-employment checks, such as mandatory vaccinations and criminal history checks.
Should you experience problems in downloading the word documents : Referee report or the Graduate Summary (under section “Before you apply”, dot points 4 and 7), please try using a different browser such as Firefox or Internet Explorer.
For any questions relating to the Queensland Health nursing and midwifery graduate program, please email ChiefNurse-Office@health.qld.gov.au
To follow up on your application, please contact the HHSs listed as preferences on your application.