Skip links and keyboard navigation

Medical practitioner registration and requirements

There are certain things you need to do before you can apply for a job with us if you're a qualified medical practitioner.

To work with us, you need to gain and maintain registration with the Medical Board of Australia (MBA). There are 4 main types of registration for Australian and New Zealand trained practitioners:

To register with the MBA, you’ll need to meet their registration standards.

If you’re an internationally qualified medical practitioner, you need to gain and maintain registration with the MBA. To get registration, you need to be eligible to undertake one of the following assessment pathways:

Your level of registration must allow you to:

  • start employment with us and continue to meet the requirements of your employment
  • perform the full duties and responsibilities of your role with us
  • legally practice your profession in your role in accordance with the national law.

Your responsibilities

It’s your responsibility to make sure your registration is current. This includes during periods of extended leave, including:

  • leave with or without pay
  • secondments
  • acting or higher duties arrangements
  • extended breaks between casual engagements.

If the status of your registration changes, you need to let your manager know straight away. This includes but isn’t limited to:

  • suspension
  • conditions
  • restrictions
  • undertakings
  • notations
  • reprimands
  • cautions.

The hospital and health service you work for will check your credentials in accordance with the credentialing and defining the scope of clinical practice process.

Renewal of registration

You can keep working while you renew your registration. You can do this if you’ve applied for renewal within one month of your registration ending.

You stay registered for one month after your registration expiry date. You can keep working during this time unless you’re no longer appear on the Register of Practitioners.

If processing your application takes more than one month, you can keep working until it’s processed.

Read more about health professionals registration including medical officers, nurses, midwives, health practitioners and other health professionals (PDF 244 kB).

Private practice

If you’re a Senior Medical Officer working for us, you can work in a private practice as part of your employment. This is under the Medical Officers’ Certified Agreement 5 (MOCA 5).

To do this, you’ll need to enter into a Granted Private Practice agreement.

Find out more in the Medical Officers’ Certified Agreement (PDF, 443 KB).

Last updated: 5 January 2022