MASS Palliative Syringe Driver Program (MASS PSDP)
NOTE: the MASS PSDP program is unavailable until further notice due to syringe driver supply delays. Please monitor this webpage for updates
The MASS Palliative Syringe Driver Program (MASS PSDP) is a trial program administered on behalf of the Department of Health under the Care in the Right Setting (CaRs) initiative.
The program aims to support eligible Queenslanders of all ages with a palliative condition and approaching their end stage of life to remain in their home environment by providing assistance to a syringe injection driver for pain relief. This program provides access to:
- 1 x Niki T34 Syringe Injection Driver on a loan basis for up to 6 months.
- 1 or 2 x Consumables Pack
Guidelines and Eligibility Criteria
The MASS PSDP Guidelines outlines the administrative and clinical eligibility criteria for the program and assists with information on the application process. In general, applicants may be eligible for assistance through the MASS PSDP if they:
- Are a permanent Queensland resident with a Queensland delivery address;
- Provide a Medicare Card number for purpose of unique identification
- Note: in circumstances where an applicant does not have a Medicare Card, please contact MASS to discuss identification options.
- Provide a MASS Palliative Confirmation Form signed by palliative care specialist or treating specialist/GP with palliative care specialist consultation.
Application process for Health Professionals
The MASS PSDP operates through a prescriber model where an application is submitted by an approved healthcare practitioner (allied health / medical / nursing) after consultation with the applicant, family and/or carers.
Prescribers need to contact MASS PSDP team on 07 3136 3696 in the first instance, to discuss the applicant’s requirements and application process.
- MASS PSDP Syringe Injection Driver Application Form
- MASS Palliative Confirmation Form
Information and Resources
- MASS PSDP Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- MASS PSDP Application Process – flowchart
- PallConsult NIKI T34TM syringe pump infusions learning package is available from pallconsult.com.au and includes:
- A practical handbook for health professionals: How to safely set-up, commence and provide necessary documentation for NIKI T34TM syringe pump (2nd and 3rd editions) infusions
- Online education module: The online education module teaches health professionals about how to safely use the NIKI T34TM syringe pump
- Setting up and commencing a NIKI T34TM syringe pump infusion with a new syringe: A step-by-step guide
- Three short training videos illustrating some of the essential elements for ensuring safe delivery of NIKI T34TM syringe pump infusions:
- Competency checklist: NIKI T34TM syringe pump