Skip links and keyboard navigation

Multicultural Health - information for interpreters

information for interpreters

  How to work as an interpreter for Queensland Health
  Interpreter quality
  Interpreter training
  Types of interpreter services
  Guidelines and resources

All bookings for interpreters in Queensland Health are managed through the Queensland Health Interpreter Service.

The Queensland Government Language Services Policy states that National Accreditation Authority for Interpreter and Translators (NAATI) accredited or recognised professional interpreters should be used and that non-professional interpreters should not be used unless the situation is urgent and a professional interpreter is unavailable.

Interpreting sessions in Queensland Health may be conducted in person, over the telephone or via video conference, depending on the situation.

The Queensland Health Interpreter Service encourages interpreters to provide feedback about the use of interpreters in Queensland Health facilities.


Last updated: 15 June 2012

What's new?

Queensland Health Guideline for multicultural policy implementation
A guideline to assist Hospital and Health Services and Queensland Health to implement the Queensland Multicultural Policy - A multicultural future for all of us effectively.

Report on client perceptions of the quality of the Queensland Health Intepreter Service
A new report on the perceptions on clients on the quality of the Queensland Health Interpreter Service is now available.

Would you like to provide feedback about the Queensland Health Interpreter Service?


National Interpreter Symbol

The blue interpreter symbol is the nationally recognised interpreter symbol.

national interpreter symbol

Click here for more information about this symbol.

Complaints about health or other services

Do you have concerns about a government or non-government health service or are you unhappy with the way an issue has been handled? Do you think you have been treated unfairly or are you concerned about a decision or action of a health professional?

It is ok to complain, and there are organisations that are independent of the government that can help you, free of charge.

Go to the Queensland Independent Complaint Agencies' website for more information.