Skip links and keyboard navigation

Queensland COVID-19 update

1 August 2021

A public health alert is being issued for contact tracing locations in Moggill, Pullenvale, St Lucia and Wilston.

This is a reminder for all Queenslanders to keep checking the list of exposure venues on the Queensland Health website and follow the public health advice.

Contact tracing venues can be found at Contact tracing (exposure sites) — coronavirus (COVID-19).

Lockdown measures are currently in place until 4pm Tuesday and will be reviewed before then.

We urge South East Queenslanders to abide by the lockdown and continue wearing a mask if you must leave your home. Your mask must cover both your mouth and nose.

We encourage anyone experiencing even the mildest COVID-19 symptoms to get tested and self-isolate until you get your result. Testing helps us find as many cases in the community as quickly as possible. Find your nearest testing location here.

We acknowledge there has been significant demand for testing, which has resulted in long waits at our testing facilities. We thank everyone getting tested for doing the right thing and ask that they please be patient while we work to increase capacity.

It’s up to all of us to follow the rules to help limit the spread of the virus. The virus doesn’t move on its own – people spread it.

During the lockdown period, you can only leave your residence (which includes temporary accommodation such as a holiday rental) for limited permitted purposes such as:

  • Obtaining essential goods or services, including healthcare
  • Exercising in your local area – it can only be within 10km of your home
  • Attending essential work or school and childcare for the children of essential workers or vulnerable children
  • Assisting a vulnerable persons or family member
  • Obtaining a COVID-19 test or vaccination

People should stay within 10km of their home as much as possible but can go further if it is not possible to achieve a permitted purpose within 10km. Exercise is strictly within 10km of a person's home.

Walk in vaccinations are not currently available in South-East Queensland during the three-day lockdown. This is to help reduce the risk of transmission by limiting gatherings.

You must have a booking to receive a vaccination.

We’ve addressed some of the most frequently asked questions received from the general public below.

Frequently asked questions

Are visitors allowed in my home?

No visitors are allowed to your residence (excluding volunteers and workers), unless providing support to a vulnerable person. By restricting household visitors, we reduce the likelihood of spread between different households.

I am meant to have custody of my child during lockdown, is this still allowed?

For children under 18 who do not live in the same household as their parents or one of their parents – they are allowed to leave home to continue existing arrangements for access to, and contact between, parents and children - as long as this is a court sanctioned parenting order and does not include contact with people who are vulnerable to COVID-19, for example someone aged over 70.

I have child custody arrangements in/out of the lockdown area, can I visit/travel with my child or to get my child?

For children under 18 who do not live in the same household as their parents or one of their parents – leaving a place of residence or entering a locked down area is allowed to continue existing arrangements for access to, and contact between, parents and children - as long as this is a court sanctioned parenting order and does not include contact with people who are vulnerable to COVID-19, for example someone aged over 70.

You must abide by the lockdown restrictions in the locked down area and if you leave a locked down area you must continue to abide by the lockdown restrictions.

What is essential work?

Essential work is work that cannot be done from your home – and the business is allowed to be open during lockdown.

Can I collect the equipment I need to work from home from my place of work over the weekend/on Monday?

Yes, but please limit your contact with others and wear a mask. Work with your place of employment to facilitate suitable times to collect equipment such as monitors and laptops to ensure minimal contact with others where possible.

What businesses are closed during lockdown?

The following businesses and activities in the locked down areas must close during the lockdown period unless an exception applies:

  • Retail food services including pubs, restaurants, cafes and fast food outlets except for takeaway and home delivery services
  • Entertainment facilities such as theatres, cinemas, music halls and concert halls
  • Face-to-face learning at universities, TAFEs or other higher education settings.
  • Major sports stadiums convention centres and showgrounds
  • Indoor and outdoor events such as marathons, cultural festivals, fetes, expos
  • Theme parks, outdoor amusement parks, tourism experiences and arcades
  • Zoos, aquariums and wildlife centres, except to provide maintenance and care for animals
  • Hairdressers
  • Amusement centres such as places to play billiards, pool, pinball machines or video games
  • Gyms, health clubs, fitness centres, yoga, barre, spin facilities and dance studios
  • Indoor sporting centres and venues
  • Public playgrounds, skateparks, BMX tracks and outside gyms including static exercise equipment in Council parks
  • Public barbeques such as barbeques in public spaces or shared facilities
  • Places of public worship, except for weddings and funerals in line with the person limits.
  • Spas, nail salons, hairdressers, beauty salons, waxing salons, tanning salons, tattoo parlours, non-therapeutic massage and water-based spa services
  • Massage parlours unless providing massage therapy for the management or prevention of disease, injury or condition by a registered health practitioner or qualified massage therapist
  • Auction houses
  • Betting agencies and gaming lounges
  • Casinos, gaming or gambling venues, including wagering outlets that are accessible by members of the public
  • Markets, except for food and farmers markets
  • Galleries, museums and libraries
  • Community facilities, such as community halls excluding the provision of hosting essential voluntary or public services such as foodbanks and homeless services
  • Sex on premises services, sex services premises and strip clubs
  • Public swimming pools (apartment/body corporate complex pools can stay open if they are only used by permanent residents)
  • Nightclubs

Construction can continue. Where construction is on a site that is or includes a home residence or workplace, essential construction can continue however interactions between workers and residents, staff or visitors to the workplace should be kept to a minimum.

Can my child attend school and childcare facilities during lockdown?

Children of essential workers and vulnerable children can attend childcare and school.

All other children should remain at home for the duration of the lockdown.

Do students need to wear face masks?

All adults and staff at primary schools and high schools are now required to wear masks.

All students who go to high school also need to wear masks. For schools that have Prep to year 12, any student in year 7 and above is required to wear a mask.

There are some other exceptions to wearing face masks, including for children under 12 and people with particular medical conditions or disabilities.

Can I pick up/drop off someone to the airport?

No. Where possible, people should remain where they are for the duration of the lockdown and should not be leaving or entering a lockdown area unless it’s essential.

Can I move house during lockdown?

Yes. You may move to a new residence during the lockdown period. If you move into a locked down area, you must comply with the lockdown restrictions.

If you leave a locked down area to move to a house located outside the locked down area, you must continue to observe the same lockdown rules such as only leaving the home for permitted purposes and wearing a mask when you leave your residence until the lockdown is over.

Are there any limits to how far I can travel?

If you are in a locked down area, you must stay home wherever possible and only leave your home for essential purposes. You should stay within 10km of your home if possible but you can go further where it is not possible to achieve a permitted purpose within 10km. Exercise must occur within 10km of your home. You can only leave a locked down area for one of the permitted purposes and should only travel as far as is necessary for that purpose.

Can I return home if I live outside of the lockdown area?

You may leave the lockdown area to return home during the lockdown period. However, you will need to abide by the lockdown restrictions upon your return home.

Household members of anyone who has been in a locked down area since 1am 31 July must also follow the lockdown restrictions This means only leaving your home for a permitted purpose and wearing a mask when doing so.

Last updated: 1 August 2021