Keep a healthy smile
To help you and your family keep a healthy smile this website covers the key oral health issues for all stages of life. Please use the menu on the left to access a particular area of interest.
The three main factors that are important for good oral health are:
- Foods and drinks that contain high levels of added and natural sugar contribute to tooth decay.
- The more often sugary foods and drinks are eaten the more likely you are to experience tooth decay.
- Fluoride protects teeth against tooth decay.
- Water fluoridation is the most effective way to allow everybody to have access to fluoride.
- Both children and adults benefit from water fluoridation.
- The beneficial effect of water fluoridation is additional to that of fluoridated toothpaste.
- Fluoride supplements do not provide the same benefit as water fluoridation.
- Twice daily tooth brushing with a fluoride toothpaste and a soft toothbrush will help protect against tooth decay.
- To have a healthy smile, maintain a healthy diet by drinking plenty of tap water, limiting sugary foods and drinks and by choosing healthy snacks like fruits, vegetables and cheese.
- Drink fluoridated water if it is available to help strengthen your teeth.
- Regular dental check-ups and care are important for oral health.