A mouthguard is a protective device worn during sporting activities to minimise injuries to teeth, the jaw and surrounding tissue.
Accidents involving teeth and related oral tissue are very common. A considerable number of these injuries occur during contact sport.
Mouthguards should be worn both when playing contact sport and during training sessions.
The advantages of mouthguards made by a dentist or dental prosthetist are:
- they are effective in minimising dental and oral damage
- they fit accurately, preventing dislodgement
- they do not interfere with breathing under exertion
- they do not interfere with speech
- they do not excessively alter facial appearance.
Cheap over the counter mouthguards seldom fulfil any of these requirements.