Shade planning tools, technical guidelines and resources
A suite of three booklets were developed for print distribution in the 1990s.
They are no longer available, however the information is still valid and copies should still be in circulation in Local Government offices.
- Shade for Public Pools - Planning Sun-safe Outdoor Environments in Queensland (1996)
- Shade for Sportsfields - Planning Sun-safe Outdoor Environments in Queensland (1995)
- Shade for Early Childhood Facilities- Planning Sun-safe Outdoor Environments in Queensland (1997)
The key points have been rewritten and presented online as shade and sun safety in public facilities, and the templates and worksheets are accessible below.
Find extra detail specific to designing sun safety for schools and early childhood facilities.
A fourth volume is available online and provides case studies and guidance for developing shade policies:
The Cancer Council’s shade handbook (PDF, 1.65MB) provides concise and easily accessible information about sun and shade.
Checklists, templates, tip sheets
Assessment and planning stages
- Shade needs assessment – step by step guide
- Pre-design planning assessment templates
- Example of an annotated site plan
- Writing a shade project design brief