Developing a food safety program
Templates are available for some specific business types to help them develop a food safety program that is tailored to that industry.
These can be used as a guide by any type of business as long as the completed program meets the required criteria.
Find Food safety program templates for the following industries:
- Catering and retail
- Private hospitals
- Child care
Food safety program criteria
A food safety program must meet all of the following criteria.
- systematically identify the food safety hazards that are reasonably likely to occur in food handling operations of the food business
- identify where, in a food handling operation of the food business, each hazard identified can be controlled and the means of control
- provide for the systematic monitoring of the means of control
- provide for appropriate corrective action to be taken when a hazard identified is not under control
- provide for the regular review of the program to ensure it is appropriate for the food business
- provide for the keeping of appropriate records for the food business, including records about action taken to ensure the business is carried on in compliance with the program
- contain other information, relating to the control of food safety hazards, prescribed under a regulation.
The local government that issued a food business licence is responsible for accrediting that business's food safety program.
Contact your local government to arrange an appointment.