Healthy lifestyle referral programs and training
Encouraging and supporting patients to live healthier lives will ultimately reduce the burden on our health facilities. Referral programs and training opportunities are available to health professionals to enable them to motivate and provide support to their patients.
The SMoCC Service
The SMoCC Service is a structured telephone-based health program for people with high risk of developing chronic disease. The program is delivered by registered nurses from the Health Contact Centre who have received additional training in the application of this self-management program.
Read more on The SMoCC Service, including how to refer a patient.
My health for life
The My health for life program offers a free healthy lifestyle modification program for Queenslanders at high risk of developing chronic disease. Eligible Queensland adults can chose either individual telephone health coaching or group based programs located in their local community. Find out more about the My health for life program.
Brief intervention for a healthy lifestyle
The brief intervention for a healthy lifestyle training program provides clinicians with the skills and confidence to conduct their brief interventions with their patients as part of routine care.
The online training program includes structured models incorporating knowledge and skill-based content relating to:
- healthy eating and physical activity
- alcohol, tobacco and other drugs
- the 5A's brief intervention model (ask, advise, assess, assist and arrange)
- case studies, tips, demonstrations, resources and useful links
- modules on applying learning to practice
These courses are available via Queensland Health’s Clinical Skills Development Service:
- brief intervention for a healthy lifestyle: general population
- brief intervention for a healthy lifestyle: maternity and child health
Contact the Clinical Skills Development Service at CSDS-Admin@health.qld.gov.au with any enquiries regarding these courses.
Chronic disease and healthy lifestyle
PARROT is a learner centred program focusing on primary health care, rural and remote health service provision and chronic disease care.
PARROT offers self-paced, online courses covering chronic conditions and healthy lifestyles:
- The Chronic Conditions Manual course provides an overview of the Chronic Conditions Manual 1st Edition, 2015, and introduces strategies for effective client engagement to support the provision of care.
- The Managing Chronic Conditions course introduces and provides information on the utilisation of the Chronic Conditions Manual to support clinical practice in the management of the 20 most common chronic conditions.
- The Healthy Lifestyle course provides information on maintaining health and reducing risk factors for chronic disease development.
Contact the PARROT Program at firstname.lastname@example.org with any enqueries regarding these courses.