Dispensing medicinal cannabis
A patient or their medical practitioner may approach your pharmacy to assist with dispensing an approved medicinal cannabis product.
To apply to dispense medicinal cannabis, you must:
- hold a current endorsement under section 64 of the Health (Drugs and Poisons) Regulation 1996 (i.e. endorsement must not be suspended or cancelled)
- be a registered pharmacist (without undertakings on your registration) with the Australian Health Practitioners Regulation Agency
- submit an application to the chief executive of Queensland Health for a dispensing approval for medicinal cannabis.
Medicinal Cannabis Unit (MCU):
- Telephone: (07) 3708 5283
- Email: MCTeam@health.qld.gov.au
- Fax: (07) 3708 5431
- Telephone: (07) 3708 5294
- Fax: (07) 3708 5431
- Email: MedicationSafety@health.qld.gov.au
- Complete the application for approval to dispense medicinal cannabis (PDF 176 kB)
- Prepare a Medicinal Cannabis Management Plan (PDF 133 kB)
- Submit forms to the Medicinal Cannabis Unit
Guidance and regulations
- Medicinal cannabis access and use in Queensland, March 2017 (PDF 470 kB): the process for the dispensing pharmacist to obtain, possess and supply an approved medicinal cannabis product in Queensland.
- Standard for security of medicinal cannabis stock, January 2017 (PDF 326 kB): how to secure and store medicinal cannabis products, under Part 8 of the regulation.
- Public Health (Medicinal Cannabis) Regulation 2017 (PDF, 593KB): describes the requirements for dispensing, recording, packaging, labelling and reporting associated with an approved medicinal cannabis product.
Forms and templates
- Application for approval to dispense medicinal cannabis (PDF 176 kB)
- Medicinal Cannabis Management Plan (PDF 133 kB)
- Notification of medicinal cannabis management plan (PDF 136 kB)
The approved dispenser must:
- adhere to all conditions as detailed in any TGA import licence or permit, if they are the importing party
- comply with any conditions imposed on a TGA approval relating to the medicinal cannabis product (s) being used
- only dispense medicinal cannabis in accordance with a prescription
- comply with the Guidelines for Dispensing of Medicines published by the Pharmacy Board of Australia
- prepare a Medicinal Cannabis Management Plan prior to obtaining, possessing or dispensing a medicinal cannabis product
- notify the chief executive on the approved form that the Medicinal Cannabis Management Plan has commenced
- comply with all reporting and recording requirements, as set down by the Public Health (Medicinal Cannabis) Regulation 2017 (PHMCR)
- ensure any excess or unused stock is disposed of and destroyed in line with the requirements under the PHMCR
- report each dispensing event within 72 hours to the chief executive, by emailing or faxing a copy of the prescription to Medication Safety
- report any adverse events, adverse reactions, serious adverse reactions and unexpected reactions to both the:
- TGA through the Australian Adverse Drug Reactions System
- chief executive via Medication Safety.