Ward 4 West, Medical Services, Redcliffe Hospital
Ward 4 West
Ward 4 West’s philosophy is “To develop a competent and confident cardiac team providing contemporary, evidence based care in a working environment that is safe for patients and satisfying for staff”.
Ward 4 West of Redcliffe Hospital is located on level 4 in the west wing. It is a Cardiac Unit: it cares for patients with heart problems. There are 2 wards within the Unit they are the Cardiac Medical Ward and the Coronary Care Unit.
The most common conditions patients are treated for in Ward 4 West are:
- Chest Pain
- Heart Attacks
- Abnormal heart rhythms
- Heart Failure
The facility is highly equipped and has continual heart monitoring equipment. The patient can be monitored during their entire stay within the unit.
Tests and procedures a patient may receive during their stay include:
- ECG monitoring – to check for any heart damage
- Cardiac Monitoring – to record the rhythm of the patient’s heart.
- Blood tests – to include heart muscle blood tests
Depending on the patients results a treatment plan will be chosen. All results and future care plans will be discussed with the patient or their family.
How to help prevent a further heart attack or worsening heart disease
- Make sure you correctly take all the medication that has been prescribed to you by your doctor.
- Eat less fat in your diet
- Exercise regularly – your doctor will advise you on what you can safely do
- Stop smoking if you are a smoker
- Limit the amount of alcohol that you drink
- Reduce and manage your personal stress
The patient will be given the Heart Foundations “My heart, My Life” book. This book has important information for the patient and their family to read. For example it explains:
- How the heart works
- What heart disease is
- Heart medications
- How to live with heart disease
- Recovery from a heart problem
- What lifestyle changes to make
The hospital offers a Cardiac Rehabilitation Program, which helps patients in all areas of Rehabilitation. Please talk to your nurse for more advice.