Rehabilitation Services, Redcliffe Hospital
Redcliffe Hospital Rehabilitation Unit features a 14 bed multidisciplinary inpatient rehabilitation service, with an adjacent 10 acute beds. Rehabilitation aims to restore and/or assist persons to cope with their physical and cognitive disabilities after an acute illness and assists people to maintain their optimal level of functioning and independence.
The Specialised Multidisciplinary Team at Redcliffe Hospital Rehabilitation Unit includes:
- Medical Specialists in rehabilitation medicine
- Occupational Therapists
- Rehabilitation Nurses
- Speech Pathologists
- Social workers
- Leisure Therapists
- Recreational Officers
- Allied Health Assistants
- Operational Staff
- Pastoral Care staff.
The Rehabilitation Unit provides individualised and specialised rehabilitation programs which aim to improve:
- Upper and lower limb strength and function
- Ability to manage personal cares
- Domestic tasks
- Confidence to return home
- Preparation for a return to work
- Leisure skills
- Medication self-management
- Swallowing and nutrition function management
- Pain management
- Education on chronic diseases
- Community living skills.
- Community access
- Home modifications and equipment for home can be organised as part of the coordinated, multidisciplinary discharge planning for each patient.
Conditions appropriate for Rehabilitation
Rehabilitation may be suitable for people who:
- Have neurological conditions including Stroke, Parkinson’s Disease, Multiple Sclerosis, Traumatic Brain Injury, or following Neurosurgery
- Have Orthopaedic conditions of the upper and lower body such as Hip or Knee Replacement Surgery, Spinal Surgery, Lower Limb Amputation or recovery from Fractures
- Are suffering from prolonged illness, multiple injuries or respiratory conditions have fallen at home
- Some people may be admitted to rehabilitation after acute illness or injury.
- Others may have longer term or chronic conditions managed at home but would benefit from a period of rehabilitation.
Pre-admission medical review is undertaken for all patients and recommendations can be made regarding rehabilitation needs or options.