2 doses of vaccine – QoVAX SET Mixed-dose Study
Some people in Queensland have received different COVID-19 vaccine types i.e. they received Pfizer for dose 1 and AstraZeneca for dose 2, or the other way around.
We would like to hear about that experience and check the immune response of these adults and compare it with the immune response of adults who received two doses of the same COVID-19 vaccine type. By ‘same’ we mean you received Pfizer for dose 1 and 2, or AstraZeneca for dose 1 and 2.
You can take part in this study if you:
- have received two doses of the same or different COVID-19 vaccine (AstraZeneca and Pfizer only) and not yet received the COVID-19 booster shot
- can read and understand the consent form and questionnaire
- are 18 years or over and a resident of Queensland, and
- you are able to attend a participating Pathology Queensland collection centre or QML Pathology collection centre in the Brisbane metropolitan area, Toowoomba, Gold Coast or Sunshine Coast areas.
If you take part in this study, it will not affect the healthcare you receive.
There is no cost to you, and you will not be paid.
You can withdraw at any time, we ask you to complete the withdrawal form so we know how you would like any remaining samples or data about you that we have collected to be managed.
- Study brochure (PDF 262 kB)
- Consent form and questionnaire
- Find your nearest participating Pathology Queensland collection centre or QML Pathology collection centre.
How to participate
These are the steps you need to do to take part in this study.
- Read and understand the consent form.
- Complete an online questionnaire (you will be prompted to complete this after the consent form).
- Give a saliva (spit) and blood sample.
- Get your COVID-19 vaccine booster shot.
- One month later, complete a survey by email and give a saliva (spit) and blood sample.
The survey will ask you things about your health and lifestyle, and if you experienced any adverse reactions following any of your COVID-19 vaccine shots.
Once you have given consent to participate you will be sent an email with the pathology forms you need to get your saliva and blood samples collected. Please write the following information on the forms:
- Your QoVAX SET participant identification (this begins with QVMD) in the surname field
- Date of birth
We need this information to link all your collected samples with your survey responses.
You can only go to one of the nominated pathology collection centres that are helping us run this study.
Individual results for those who had different vaccines for the first and second dose
For this research, participants will not receive or be able to request individual test results. This is because the tests we are doing are research tests that give us clues to part of immunity to the vaccine. There is no clear information about how these test results relate to protection of an individual from COVID because many factors and circumstances contribute to protection from COVID.
If you received different types of COVID-19 vaccines for dose 1 and 2, then your test results will be reviewed by a health professional from the Queensland COVID-19 Vaccine Taskforce. Only if there are any concerns about these research test results, will a health professional from the taskforce will contact you.
If you have any questions, email QoVAX-Mixed@health.qld.gov.au or call (07) 3647 1064 or 0457 197 699.