Vocational Training is a core component of The Generalist Pathway. The Pathway's Directors of Rural Generalist Training (DRGTs)/Career Navigators work closely with trainees, rural training hospitals and Regional Training Organisations (RTOs) to ensure that trainees complete and consider the following before applying for a vocational training position:
- attainment of Rural Generalist Medicine Prevocational Certification;
- an appropriate advanced skill/s for the vocational training position of interest;
- career planning in terms of geographical location, vocational endpoint, personal and family considerations.
For rural facilities wishing to engage Rural Generalist trainees in a vocational training position, the following should be considered:
- fostering and promoting a quality rural health team focus;
- training position accredited with ACRRM and/or RACGP;
- supervisors are experienced Fellows and are accredited with the training College/s; and
- position provides for work/life balance.
We encourage facilities to develop marketing material for distribution to Rural Generalist trainees via the QRGP team. An example can be accessed here.
We coordinate the Rural Vocational Placement process – the only centralised list of rural hospital vacancies in the state. Vacancies are sought from Hospital and Health Services in June and the collated list is provided to trainees for review and direct application to facilities of interest. For more information regarding the Rural Vocational Placement process, contact a member of our team here.
What is vocational training like?
In 2016, there were 133 Rural Generalist Trainees and Fellows providing invaluable medical services in rural hospitals and practices across Queensland in 2016. Hear about some of their experiences:
|Tom and Adam - St George||Matt and Bruce - Theodore||Claudia - Longreach|
|Joe - Survivor & Charleville||Dan - Stanthorpe||Jillian - Goondiwindi|
|Emily - Weipa||Matt - Roma|
Photos supplied by Drs Claudia Collins, Adam Coltzau, Danny Tucker and Joe Turner.
Vocational placement vacancy lists
Vocational placement vacancies vary year to year. View the 2017 Rural Vocational Placement list to see where our trainees and Fellows are working.
Past vacancy lists
- 2016 Queensland Health rural medical vacancies
- 2015 Queensland Health rural medical vacancies
- 2014 Queensland Health rural medical vacancies
- 2013 Queensland Health rural medical vacancies
- 2012 Queensland Health rural medical vacancies
To find Hospital and Health Service locations visit Location Profiles.
Other vacancy information sources
For other vacancies not administered by The Generalist Pathway team, please visit:
Want to know more about locations, facilities and services throughout Queensland? Visit Queensland Health’s regional information page.