Sunshine Coast University Hospital will be located on the corner of Kawana Way and Doherty Street at Birtinya.
The 20-hectare site will become a significant health precinct, with the Sunshine Coast University Hospital opening in April 2017 and the Sunshine Coast University Private Hospital which opened in November 2013.
The site in the Sunshine Coast’s Kawana region was identified as the most suitable location for a new hospital campus of this size for several reasons:
- it is centrally located in the local catchment area it will service
- it includes dedicated expansion zones so the hospital can grow
- it allows for several emergency vehicle access points
- it is accessible by existing Translink bus routes
- it is on the proposed Coast Connect bus route and close to the proposed transport hub to the north of the site
- it is close to the proposed Kawana Town Centre.