Dr Mason Stevenson
Board Member, Sunshine Coast Hospital and Health Board
Dr Mason Stevenson has 28 years experience as a general practitioner, the majority on the Sunshine Coast. He has held senior roles within medical associations since 1996 and owned and managed medical practices since 1990.
Mason began his medical career in Melbourne after completing a Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery at Monash University in 1983.
He completed his internship and Junior Resident Medical Officer training at the Queen Victoria Medical Centre in 1985. Once completed, Mason worked as a doctor for the Melbourne Doctors After Hours Cooperative for a number of years before joining the Glen Waverley Medical Centre in Melbourne as a Principal General Practitioner (GP) Assistant in 1988.
In 1990, Mason moved to the Sunshine Coast, Queensland to open and work in his own solo practice as GP, Suncoast Medical Centre, Peregian Beach.
Mason received his Vocational Registration—General Practitioner in 1996. This same year he became an owner in a group GP practice with three other doctors, Suncoast Medical Centre, Coolum Beach, and Treasurer of the Sunshine Coast Division of General Practice. His role as Treasurer lasted for two years, and he is still a member of Focus Health (formerly the Sunshine Coast Division of General Practice).
Between 1996–2004 while in ownership of the Suncoast Medical Centre, Mason also held the positions of:
- Sunshine Coast Local Medical Association (SCLMA) - Treasurer (1998-2000) and President (2000–2002)
- Australian Medical Association of Queensland - Treasurer, (2002-2004)
- AMA Federal Councillor (Queensland rep) including Finance Committee and Council of General Practice (2004–2007).
From 2004 until 2010, Mason worked as a GP subcontractor for the Suncoast Medical Centre Coolum Beach. He also held executive positions within medical associations including:
- Sunshine Coast Local Medical Association - President (2007–2008, 2010–2011)
- AMA Qld – Treasurer (2006–2008)
- AMA Qld – President elect, President and past President (2009–2011).
Since 2010, Mason has worked as a GP subcontractor for Noosaville Seven Day Medical Centre, while continuing in executive positions within medical associations including:
- Executive Member, AMA Federal Council of General Practice (2007–2012)
- Vice-President (2011–2012) and Executive Member (2012–present), Sunshine Coast Local Medical Association
- GP Representative Councillor for AMA Qld Branch (2001–present).