Registered Nurse/ Registered Midwife Graduate Program
Intake: February 2020
The Registered Nurse/Registered Midwife (RN/RM) Graduate Program provides temporary, 12-month appointments across a number of facilities including:
- Sunshine Coast University Hospital
- Nambour General Hospital
- Gympie Hospital
- Caloundra Hospital
The clinical areas include:
|Midwifery||Pediatric ward||Mental Health: various wards|
|Peri-operative||Coronary care unit||Intensive Care unit|
|Palliative Care unit||Rehabilitation unit||Gastroenterology ward|
|Cancer Care ward||Acute Neuroscience ward||General Medicine: various wards|
|General Surgery inclusive of Urology and Gynaecology: various wards||Cardiac ward||Respiratory ward|
|Vascular, Plastics and Ear, Nose and Throat unit||Orthopedic ward||Aged and Restorative Care unit|
|Surgical Assessment unit||Medical Assessment unit||Extended Day Surgical unit|
Emergency Department is not offered within the first-year graduate program
Aims of the Program
- to support the novice RN/RM as they transition into the role
- to enable opportunities to consolidate clinical skills and develop clinical competence and confidence
- to provide opportunities to work within a team and develop decision making and critical thinking skills
The SCHHS does not employ graduate RN/RMs:
- prior to the commencement of the Graduate RN/RM Program
- on the casual pool instead of the Graduate RN/RM Program
- in a concurrent appointment to a different clinical area while completing the graduate RN/RM program
Graduates receive support within the clinical environment from a range of team members including:
- clinical coaches
- nurse educators
- nurse unit managers
- clinical nurse consultants
Clinical coaches provide hands on bedside clinical support and education in a friendly and supportive manner. You will be provided with regular opportunities for feedback and discussion regarding your clinical practice.
Eligibility for the SCHHS program
The SCHHS Graduate Program recruitment is guided by the Queensland Government Graduate nurse and midwife recruitment prospectus - Priority ranking 1.
Commencement on Graduate Program is conditional upon the following:
- Completion of Bachelor of Nursing/Midwifery degree prior to 21 December 2019
- Proof of completion must be provided to facilitate recruitment.
- If your qualification certificate (e.g. Bachelor of Nursing Science) is not issued prior to commencement date a JP certified copy of your final official Academic Transcript is required until your certificate is available. You must forward your JP certified copy of your qualification certificate once it is issued.
- Registration with Australia Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA)
- Registration must be issued before the recruitment process can be completed.
- Graduates are required to apply for registration with APHRA 6 weeks before completing course.
- Criminal history clearance
- Evidence of Vaccination for Preventable Diseases (VPD)
- Candidates must provide evidence of mandatory vaccination, as identified in the VPD checklist/job role.
- Favourable clinical referee report (DOCX 58 kB)