What is Smart Referrals?
Smart Referrals is an electronic referral system designed to make life easier for healthcare professionals, and to improve the quality of referrals. It is made up of the following key components:
- GP Smart Referrals (GPSR)
Provides seamless and integrated capability allowing GPs to create and submit electronic referrals from existing practice software
- Referrals Service Directory (RSD)
Provides details of public specialist services and the necessary clinical business requirements to support referral lodgement
- Referral Lodgement and Tracking (RLaT)
Provides technical capability to facilitate digital lodgement and tracking referrals across the state
- Smart Referrals Workflow
Provides digital capability to facilitate the seamless receipt, registration and triage of specialist outpatient referrals
Smart Referral benefits
- Safety and quality of care—enhanced quality of referral information, informs clinical handover, triage and treatment of patients.
- Workflow efficiency—faster, streamlined referral management supports better patient outcomes.
- Patient experience—enhanced quality of referral information reduces wait times.
- GP experience—quicker and easier for GPs to refer.
- Clinician experience—enhanced decision support information improves patient care.
- Financial benefits—reduction in referral rework and avoidable appointments.
For more information regarding Smart Referrals, please visit https://www.health.qld.gov.au/clinical-practice/innovation/smart-referrals/smart-referrals-overview.
If you have technical difficulties please call the Smart Referral hotline by dialling 1300 478 439 and choosing the option ‘Smart Referrals’.