Head and Neck Cancer Clinic, Speech Pathology and Dietetic referrals SCHHS
Emergencies and urgent referrals
Laryngectomy urgent referrals are triaged promptly on telephone/text contact from the patient, family member (or other care provider) to the Speech Pathology Laryngectomy / Head and Neck mobile phone (0417 613 890).
This service is available Monday to Friday during business hours. If urgent or emergency needs arise outside of business hours, patients are requested to attend the Sunshine Coast University Hospital emergency department where medical officers can assess and manage the immediate concerns and contact an ENT physician if required.
General referral criteria
About the clinic
This Head and Neck Clinic assesses and manages patients with Head and Neck cancer diagnosis with side effects impacting swallow, oral intake, and or speech. This care is provided:
- Pre, during and post radiation and/or chemotherapy treatment for head and neck cancer.
- Post-surgery management of head and neck cancer.
- Long term swallow and communication management post laryngectomy surgery, including voice prosthesis management.
- All acute or subacute referrals must be accompanied by a recent (one month) report from an ENT specialist, radiation oncologist or a tertiary hospital head and neck multi-disciplinary team.
- Speech Pathology referrals from GP’s for chronic conditions related to Head and Neck cancer or treatment will be triaged and managed according to clinical prioritisation guidelines.
Services offered / Conditions treated and specific referral information
- Speech Pathology swallow and communication assessment, intervention, rehabilitation, monitoring and evaluation.
- Diet texture and fluid consistency modification, mouth care education, dysphagia management and rehabilitation exercises to assist with the management of cancer and treatment related toxicities.
- Nutrition Assessment, intervention, monitoring and evaluation.
- Individualised oral and enteral feeding regimens.
- Diet and nutrition education to assist with the nutritional management of cancer and treatment related toxicities
- Discharge planning for patients and referral to other relevant services such as lymphoedema management and psychology.
View all Speech Pathology Services.
How to submit referrals
|Head and Neck Clinic|
Allied Health Centre (Outpatients)
Ambulatory Care Centre
Sunshine Coast University Hospital |
(Level 1 Purple lifts)
eReferral information: eReferrals are to be sent via the Secure Webb Transfer (SWT2) using provide name: QHEALTH, Sunshine Coast Ambulatory Care Centre.
Allied Health Outpatient Services
Phone: (07) 5202 0257
|Head and Neck Cancer Clinic|
The clinic runs twice weekly at Sunshine Coast University Hospital, with daily urgent appointments for Laryngectomy referrals available upon triage.
Laryngectomy Speech Pathology Service
Sign up for GP Connect to access pathology results from any Pathology Qld laboratory
Please email any feedback to email@example.com