Referral criteria for specialist outpatient services
Minimum referral requirements for specialist outpatient referrals
As a minimum referrals to the Specialist Outpatients Department must contain the following. Additional, condition specific referral criteria can be found on the GP referrals page.
Clerical referral details required:
- full name of patient (including aliases)
- name of parent/caregiver/next of kin
- full address of patient telephone contact details for patient: home ,mobile and alternative e.g. work, email address for patient
- if patient identifies as Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander
- patient's date of birth
- preferred language and need for interpreter
- Medicare number
- name, address, telephone, fax, email contact and provider number of referring practitioner
- date of referral.
Clinical referral details required:
- reason for referral
- history of the current condition
- findings from clinical examination. Please include BMI or weight/height.
- treatment options trialled thus far
- relevant past medical and surgical history
- relevant psychosocial history
- up to date list of current medications including any 'over the counter preparations' or supplements
- drug allergies and relevant clinical alerts.