Skip links and keyboard navigation

Approvals and authorities

Medicines and poisons are substances regulated under the Health (Drugs and Poisons) Regulation 1996. Queensland Health issues licenses that cover their manufacture, distribution and sale. We also issue approvals to use scheduled substances for other purposes, such as therapeutic treatment or for research and analysis, where a person is not already authorised to use the substance in that location or for that purpose.

Queensland Health provides guidelines and application forms for prospective applicants, as well as templates and other resources for those persons and entities granted approvals.

Use of scheduled substances for therapeutic purposes

Treatment with regulated restricted drugs or drugs of dependence

Emergency first aid

Treatment of acute health conditions at isolated locations

Immunisation program certification

NOTE – Immunisation programs are not for the provision of COVID-19 vaccines, see information about COVID-19 vaccines

Animal management or welfare

Other approvals to use scheduled substances for therapeutic purposes

To seek approval to use a scheduled substance for a therapeutic purpose not covered by one of the above categories, please use the following non-specific application form.

Use of scheduled substances for non-therapeutic purposes

Research and teaching at universities

Universities use the Application for an Approval to use scheduled substances for non-therapeutic purposes at a university (DOC 502 kB) form to submit an application to use medicines and/or poisons for research or teaching purposes.

Outside of university and other activities

There are a number of other regulated activities that may also be performed with approval from the Chief Executive, Department of Health, known as a 'Section 18 approval'. Use the Application for an approval to obtain, possess, and use scheduled substances for non-therapeutic purposes (other than at a university) (DOC 536 kB) form if you wish to apply for an approval to do an activity with scheduled substances outside of university or that is not addressed in the approvals above.  If you are unsure please contact us, before completing this form.

Obligations and requirements

There are obligations to report lost or stolen scheduled substances. Find out who has to report losses or theft and what types of scheduled medicines are required to be reported to the Department of Health.

There are storage and record keeping obligations for scheduled substances that must be complied with as part of your Approval. The following document details sets out these requirements.

Last updated: 22 July 2021


Healthcare Approval and Regulation Unit - information on forms for therapeutic purposes
Phone: (07) 3708 5264

Environmental Hazards Unit - general contact information
Phone: (07) 3328 9310

Health Protection Licensing Unit - for approvals