Guiding legislation and drug therapy protocols
Health Act 1937 Provides the head of power for regulation-making and monitoring, investigation and enforcement for the subordinate regulation, and a range of other residual provisions about the sale of adulterated drugs and labelling.
Pest Management Act 2001 Sets out the requirements for person seeking to carry act pest control activities.
Pest Management Regulation 2003 Sets out the competencies and other requirements for person seeking to carry act pest control activities.
Pharmacy Business Ownership Act 2001 Specifies who can own a pharmacy, limits the pecuniary interest of pharmacists owning pharmacy businesses and change of ownership reporting obligations as well as the requirement for a pharmacist to be present when the business is open.
Health (Drugs and Poisons) Regulation 1996 Sets out requirements on endorsement holders concerning scheduled drugs and poisons including obligations around storage, record keeping and sale.
- Approved prescription exchange system and approved electronic form by electronic communication for sending controlled drug prescription and written instruction information; and, electronic prescription electronically information to the chief executive (PDF 112 kB)—For the purpose of section 84(3)(b), 84A(3)(a) and 84A(3)(b) of the Health (Drug and Poisons) Regulation 1996, a dispenser using a dispensing system that is integrated to an ‘approved prescription exchange system’ detailed in this Instrument, meets the requirement to send the chief executive prescription or written instruction information in an ‘approved electronic form’ by ‘electronic communication,’ or an ‘electronic prescription electronically’.
- Approved requirements for electronic prescriptions (PDF 127 kB)—establishes the requirements as the approved electronic form for an electronic prescription to be made under the Health (Drugs and Poisons) Regulation 1996. Further information is detailed in the Factsheet – Electronic prescribing for health professionals (PDF 140 kB)
- Certified written policy (PDF 150 kB)—relating specifically to packing and repacking of medicines when supplied by RNs, Indigenous health workers and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health practitioners
- Pharmacist vaccination standard (PDF 138 kB)—establishes the requirements for a pharmacist who wants to participate in the pharmacist vaccination program in Queensland.
- Position statement (PDF 53 kB)—relating to the National Residential Medication Chart Initiative enabling a prescribed medicine from a residential aged care medication chart to be dispensed
Health Regulation, 1996 Sets out requirements around dispensing and dispensaries and the labelling of therapeutic goods and other drugs.
Queensland Health (Drugs and Poisons) Regulation Amendments
Amendments to the Queensland Health (Drugs and Poisons) Regulation 1996 have been approved by Queensland’s Governor in Council, effective 9 November 2018. The professions affected include clinical perfusionists, endorsed optometrists, endorsed midwives, endorsed podiatrists, nuclear medicine technologists, nurse practitioners, optometrists, physiotherapists, respiratory scientists and speech pathologists. Read further information on the changes as they relate to each profession.
Drug therapy protocols
Drug therapy protocols are made under various sections of the Health (Drugs and Poisons) Regulation 1996 and state the circumstances and conditions under which certain authorised persons are able to do certain activities defined by the regulations and scope of the protocol.
- Communicable Diseases Program (PDF 87 kB)
- Indigenous Health Worker Isolated Practice Area (PDF 238 kB)
- Immunisation Program Nurse (PDF 76 kB)
- Midwives (PDF 250 kB)
- Orthoptist (PDF 52 kB)
- Pandemic Influenza Program: Pharmacist, Queensland Ambulance Service Officer, Registered Nurse (PDF 258 kB)
- Pharmacist Opioid Treatment Program (PDF 236 kB)
- Pharmacist Vaccination Program (PDF 72 kB)
- Queensland Ambulance Service Isolated Practice Area Paramedic (PDF 303 kB)
- Rural and Isolated Practice Area - Endorsed Nurses (PDF 133 kB)
- Sexual Health Program Nurse (PDF 160 kB)
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health Practitioner (PDF 218 kB)
- Pharmacist UTI Trial (PDF 126 kB)