Guiding legislation and drug therapy protocols
Health Act 1937 Provides the head of power for regulation-making and monitoring, investigation and enforcement for the subordinate regulation, and a range of other residual provisions about the sale of adulterated drugs and labelling.
Pest Management Act 2001 Sets out the requirements for person seeking to carry act pest control activities.
Pest Management Regulation 2003 Sets out the competencies and other requirements for person seeking to carry act pest control activities.
Pharmacy Business Ownership Act 2001 Specifies who can own a pharmacy, limits the pecuniary interest of pharmacists owning pharmacy businesses and change of ownership reporting obligations as well as the requirement for a pharmacist to be present when the business is open.
Health (Drugs and Poisons) Regulation 1996 Sets out requirements on endorsement holders concerning scheduled drugs and poisons including obligations around storage, record keeping and sale.
- Certified written policy (PDF 79 kB) relating specifically to packing and repacking of medicines when supplied by RNs or indigenous health workers in rural and isolated practice areas
- Position statement (PDF 53 kB) - relating to the National Residential Medication Chart Initiative enabling a prescribed medicine from a residential aged care medication chart to be dispensed
- Pharmacist vaccination standard (PDF 196 kB) establishes the requirements for a pharmacist who wants to participate in the pharmacist vaccination program in Queensland.
Health Regulation, 1996 Sets out requirements around dispensing and dispensaries and the labelling of therapeutic goods and other drugs.
Drug therapy protocols
Drug therapy protocols are made under various sections of the Health (Drugs and Poisons) Regulation 1996 and state the circumstances and conditions under which certain authorised persons are able to do certain activities defined by the regulations and scope of the protocol.
- Communicable Diseases Program (PDF 71 kB)
- Indigenous Health Worker Isolated Practice Area (PDF 211 kB)
- Immunisation Program Nurse (PDF 59 kB)
- Midwives (PDF 50 kB)
- Nurse Practitioner (PDF 44 kB)
- Orthoptist (PDF 52 kB)
- Ocular Therapeutics Protocol - Optometry Board of Australia 'Guidelines for the use of scheduled medicines'
- Pandemic Influenza Program: Pharmacist, Queensland Ambulance Service Officer, Registered Nurse (PDF 71 kB)
- Pharmacist Opioid Treatment Program (PDF 48 kB)
- Pharmacist Vaccination Program (PDF 58 kB)
- Queensland Ambulance Service Isolated Practice Area Paramedic (PDF 126 kB)
- Rural and Isolated Practice Area - Endorsed Nurses (PDF 72 kB)
- Sexual Health Program Nurse (PDF 63 kB)