Find fact sheets, newsletters and information to help you comply with the legislation governing the prescribing, purchasing, sale, dispensing and use of medicines in Queensland.
First aid medicines
Fact sheets regarding the purchase, sale and use of medicines commonly used for the purpose of providing first aid treatment:
- Accessing medicines for management of asthma and anaphylaxis in the community (PDF 862 kB) — fact sheet regarding the purchase, sale and use of adrenaline (commonly known by the brand name Epipen) for the first aid treatment of anaphylaxis and salbutamol and terbutaline (blue/grey reliever medicines) for the purpose of providing first aid treatment of asthma.
- Asthma management courses - October 2019 (PDF 325 kB) — fact sheet regarding the required learning objectives for asthma management courses in order for them to meet Queensland Health requirements for the Health (Drugs and Poisons) Regulation 1996 (HDPR).
- Accessing methoxyflurane for emergency first aid (PDF 512 kB) — fact sheet regarding requirements for persons seeking to access and use methoxyflurane for first aid.
- Sale of naloxone as a Schedule 3 (Pharmacist Only) medicine (PDF 191 kB) — fact sheet to inform pharmacists of the regulatory requirements for selling naloxone as a Schedule 3 (Pharmacist Only) medicine.
Prescribing and dispensing scheduled substances
- Prescribing and dispensing regulated restricted drugs (PDF 355 kB) — fact sheet about the regulatory requirements for prescribing and dispensing regulated restricted drugs, such as clozapine, isotretinoin and thalidomide, and the associated penalties for non-compliance.
- For pharmacists—Dispensing quantity and frequency (PDF 190 kB) your obligations to report occasions when you are asked to dispense more medications than appears to be reasonably necessary.
- Continued dispensing initiative (PDF 49 kB) — fact sheet to inform pharmacists of their ability to supply eligible medicines under the Continued Dispensing Initiative.
- Prescribing and Dispensing Hydroxychloroquine Direction Information for prescribers (PDF 85 kB)—This fact sheet informs prescribers about amended prescribing and dispensing requirements for hydroxychloroquine.
- Prescribing and Dispensing Hydroxychloroquine Direction Information for pharmacists (PDF 90 kB)—This fact sheet informs pharmacists about amended prescribing and dispensing requirements for hydroxychloroquine.
Tools and resources
Some useful documents to assist with meeting regulatory obligations.
Visiting health practitioners (declared major events)
Information for visiting health practitioners during events declared under the Major Events Act 2014.
Dispensing records visiting health practitioners—requirement to send a copy of dispensed prescriptions to Queensland Health.
Wholesale sales of S2 and S3 medicines Wholesalers—requirement to send a report of Schedule 2 (Pharmacy Only) or Schedule 3 (Pharmacist Only) medicines sold to visiting health practitioners during a major event to Queensland Health.